Electrical Power Outage
- With a power failure, the security sensor will not work. All patrons should
be stopped before exiting to be sure that library materials have been checked
a. ask patron if he/she has any library materials; ask patron to open book
bag, tote bag, etc. and pull out materials.
b. if patron needs to check out materials, have him/her step back to the
Circulation Desk. Depending on the situation and the estimation of the time of
the power outage, materials will be checked out manually.
- Designated person will call Work Control at
x5-2222 and UMPD at x5-3555.
In each branch, a staff member should be assigned to serve as the designated
person in charge for day, evening or weekend hours.
- Notify the Dean's Office (x5-9128) and the Public Services
Office (x5-9251) during business hours. For weekends and
evenings, based on anticipated length of power outage as determined by Work
Control, designated person should call the Dean at home. If Dean cannot be
reached, call the Director of Public Services Division, then Director of
Administrative Services Division. Based on the decision, either to close library
or await further information and instructions.
- If it is determined by library administration and/or UMPD that the building
should be evacuated for the safety of patrons
and staff for the length of the power outage, floor marshals should help
evacuate patrons by directing them toward the front of the library. If elevators
are affected by the power outage, evacuation procedures are the same as those
described under "Fire" in the Safety and Security Guidelines.
- Floor marshals should check rest rooms, elevators and all other areas
without emergency lighting.
- If an early closing is announced by Library Administration, staff should
proceed with closing procedures. Make notation in Log Book.