Food and Drink Responsibilities
IN ARCHITECTURE LIBRARY, ART LIBRARY, HORNBAKE LIBRARY, MICHELLE SMITH PERFORMING ARTS LIBRARY AND WHITE MEMORIAL CHEMISTRY LIBRARY
The UM Libraries outline rules and responsibilities for library patrons in the Code of Conduct Policy (Administrative Memo # 11). One of the key elements of this policy tells patrons they are not allowed to bring food or beverages into selected libraries with the exception of water in clear containers. Library staff are asked to do their part to ensure that the libraries are a clean environment for ourselves as well as library patrons by adhering to the following food and drink responsibilities.
1. Staff may eat at their desks provided the desk is out of view of the public. Any food or drink brought into the library or carried through the library must be concealed in such a way that the public does not know it is food/drink. This includes any food or drink taken into or being brought out of any of the Libraries' staff lounges.
2. Any food and drink residue must be disposed of in a trashcan that is emptied on a daily basis. If using a trashcan in a public area, the residue must be properly concealed. Staff must clean up after eating at their desk or in the lounge; all spills and crumbs should be removed.
3. Staff should be mindful that the preparation of food and the carrying of food throughout the library may create aromas that patrons may find intrusive.
4. All cups, dishes, utensils or food containers must be washed and put away or taken home.
5. Any food or drinks brought into the libraries for a party or reception must be concealed as reasonably as possible. The host of the party or reception is responsible for ensuring that attendees stay within the party or reception area with their food and drink.
6. In any office area where a party has occurred, proper and timely clean up is required. The area must be vacuumed to ensure that crumbs from the floor are removed; table or desk areas should be washed; and trash removed to a trashcan that is emptied daily or taken to a dumpster.
7. Staff keeping food in their desk or office area must store it in sealable containers.
8. Staff should take care with food or drink at or around computer terminals, on desks where there are workstations or around collections of materials to avoid accidental spills or damage.
IN ENGINEERING AND PHYSICAL SCIENCES LIBRARY (EPSL)
AND MCKELDIN LIBRARY
Library staff may transport food and drink publicly in EPSL and McKeldin, generally in keeping with the guidelines for library users. See FAQs on Food and Drink in the Libraries for details. Staff members are responsible for keeping work areas and meeting rooms clean and putting all trash promptly in containers.
Staff should not eat while working on service desks. However, staff may drink from covered containers while covering service desks.