Solutions for Browser Problems with ELMS Canvas
IE Workaround #1 (Showing all content)
1. Click the Course Reserves link.
2. Click the "Show all content" button in the pop-up at the bottom of the screen.
3. You must do this each time you use Course Reserves *There may be a way to create a local exception on your computer so you don’t have to do this each time.
IE Workaround #2 (Loading a new window)
See Firefox workaround below for instructions.
Chrome Workaround (blank Course Reserves screen)
1. Go to the address bar at the top of the Chrome browser.
2. Select the shield and a drop down menu will appear. Select "Load unsafe script" and then click "Done".
Firefox Workaround #1 (Disabling page protection)
NOTE: Firefox should work for students and instructors without these workarounds after the course in Reserves is set up (I.E. The Instructor or TA selected the "Create Course" button after clicking the Course Reserves link in the course for the first time). The "Create Course" button does not work in Firefox unless you use one of the two workarounds listed here. Please note, an instructor can use another browser such as Chrome to create the course first and use Firefox afterwards if they choose.
1. Click the Course Reserves link and then the Create Course button.
2. A Security Warning box will appear. Click "Continue".
3. A shield icon will appear at the top left of the browser window next to the URL.
4. Select the shield icon, click the drop down menu arrow next to "Keep Blocking", and select "Disable Protection on This Page".
5. Click the "Create Course" button again and the problem should be resolved.
Firefox Workaround #2 (Loading a new window)
NOTE: Some faculty may have set up the Course Reserves tool with this option when they initially added Course Reserves to their Libraries module. The instructions below will show instructors how to edit the Course Reserves tool to enable the loading into a new window. Please be aware this workaround will force everyone using Course Reserves for this course (regardless of browser) to load Course Reserves in a new window.
1. Hover the mouse over the line that has the Course Reserves link. On the far right, select the pencil icon.
2. A pop up will appear. Place a checkmark in the tab labeled, “Load this tool in a new tab,” and select the "Update" button.
3. Select the "Course Reserves" link.
4. Select "Load Course Reserves in a New Window". This will create a new window where Reserves should be accessible.
5. Since Firefox should work after the course is created, you may want to go back and uncheck the “Load this tool in a new tab” option.