Adding Course Reserves to Canvas
1. Create a Module -
- Log into ELMS (Canvas):
- Hover the mouse over the "Courses" tab and select your course from the drop down menu.
- Select the "Modules" tab on the left navigation menu.
*If the "Modules" tab is grayed out (see below) it can still be
The color difference simply means there is no data in the tab.
- Click on the "Create a Module" button on the right side of the screen.
- Enter "Libraries" as the name of the module, and select "Add Module" button.
- The "Libraries" module will display at the bottom of your "Course Modules" list. If you would like to change the order of the modules in your "Course Modules" list - Hover the mouse over the arrow on the left of the module title (it will prompt you to click and drag the module) and reorganize the modules to the desired order.
2. Add "Course Reserves" to the "Libraries" module -
- Click the tools button on the right of the newly created "Libraries" module. A drop down menu will appear.
- Select "+Add Content" from the drop down menu.
- Select "External Tool" from the drop down box in the in the pop up that appears.
- The pop up will then provide a list of items. Select 1. "Course Reserves" from the list, 2. Check "Load this tool in a new tab", and then 3."Add item". You may have to select and drag the pop up to find "Course Reserves" at the bottom of the list. "Course Reserves" will appear under the "Libraries" heading.
If you have already created the Course Reserves module or forgot to complete step 2. (check the box to "Load this tool in a new tab") above, go to the Browser Work Around page for instructions on loading Course Reserves in a new tab/window.
PUBLISHING COURSE RESERVES
If you do not create and publish the course by following the 3 subsequent steps
below, students and TA's may see the screen below when they attempt to access
THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO MAKE THE COURSE and
COURSE RESERVES VISIBLE TO STUDENTS AND TAs.
- After you select the "Course Reserves" module within the
"Libraries" module - Select the semester you would like to
add/remove items from the drop down menu
*Note: Do not select "Current Semester" unless the semester is already underway. Click the "Create Course" button. IF THE PAGE DOES NOT REFRESH TO THE ARES COURSE RESERVES PAGE, PLEASE SEE THE WORK AROUNDS FOR BROWSER ISSUES PAGE FOR INSTRUCTIONS.
- On the subsequent page add reserves items in the same fashion you added course reserves as before. Please see our Training Handout for instructions on using the Course Reserves system.
- When you have loaded all necessary information, be certain to PUBLISH the course in order for student to view the course material.
*If you closed the Next Wizard while working on the course space, you can still access the screen and publish the course by clicking on the "? Course Setup Checklist" button.
- Once you publish the course, enrolled students will receive an invitation to join and can view all course information you loaded.