Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Reciprocal Borrowing Privileges
For UMD Faculty & Students
- Fill out the CIC Reciprocal Borrowers Application
As a member of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), University of Maryland faculty and students are eligible to receive access and in-person borrowing privileges at other CIC libraries. Faculty and students who wish to use another CIC library should fill out the CIC Reciprocal Borrowing application above. Within 2-3 business days you will be issued a printed CIC Borrower's Card and, if necessary, a letter of introduction from the Dean of Libraries.
Most CIC Libraries grant the following access privileges to visitors from other CIC institutions:
- Undergraduate students may access any CIC Library, but are not eligible to borrow materials from them.
- Graduate students may borrow materials in-person from any CIC Library (except the University of Chicago, which provides on-site access only).
- Faculty may access and borrow materials in-person from any CIC Library.
For more information, including participating institutions, visit the CIC Reciprocal Borrowing page.
For CIC Faculty & Students
Faculty and Graduate Students
- Obtain an approved CIC Reciprocal Borrowing form/card from you own institution.
- Fill out the Community Borrowers and Researchers Application
- Select "CIC Faculty/Graduate Student" as your affiliation within the form
- Present a valid photo ID and the CIC form/card issued by your own institution at the Library Services Desk at McKeldin Library to obtain your borrowers card for use in UMD libraries
Contact Interlibrary Loan at (301) 405-9178 or email@example.com if you have questions or need additional information.
CIC Faculty and Graduate will receive free membership in our Community Researcher program which has the following privileges:
- borrowing privileges from all UMD Libraries, including Off-Site Shelving
- 56-day loan period in most cases; all loans are subject to recall
- maximum of 100 items checked out at any one time
- 2 renewals for each item if not requested/recalled by another user
- use of any of the UMD Libraries' facilities and collections on site, including audiovisual materials, Reserve materials, and electronic databases
While CIC undergraduates are ineligible for borrowing privileges, they may use any campus library, including Late Night study in McKeldin Library, with their home University ID card (or a government issued photo ID and CIC ID card).