Use My Laptop
Please note: In order to connect your laptop or wirelesss device
to the Internet, you must be a student, faculty or staff member at the
University of Maryland, College Park.
Connecting to the
campus wireless network
- Login to the campus network:
Guide to connect to the University's wireless network:
- Login using your University Directory ID and password (required).
- 'umd-secure' is the recommended and safest wireless
connection for students, faculty & staff.
- Windows and Vista operating systems directions available.
- Leopard and Tiger operating system directions available.
- iPhone and iTouch directions available.
Printing wirelessly to library printers
(You must be logged in
to the University's wireless network - see above - in order to print
Frequently asked questions (FAQs):
- GO TO:
Learn the answers to your questions:
- Does my dorm room have wireless coverage?
- How do I set up a wireless router?
- Will my iPhone work on the wireless network?
- Can I give wireless access to my visiting friends & family?
- ...and more!
- Library staff do not sponsor Guest Wireless Accounts. Please use the public
computers available in all campus Libraries.
- Other University faculty and staff may provide this access if they agree to
- What is eduroam? eduroam is a secure service that allows
students to have access to wireless internet when visiting participating
institutions by using their student ID and password from their home institution.
- Which USMAI and other local schools participate in eduroam?
UMD, UMUC, UMB, UMBC, Towson, Morgan State, and Georgetown all participate in
- For more information about eduroam at UMD, visit OIT's information page:
Security and your laptop
- It only takes a minute for a thief to strike!
- Avoid being a crime statistic. Do not leave your laptop unattended.
- All campus buildings are public spaces, even the Libraries, so be vigilant
about guarding the safety of your personal belongings.
Getting a wired connection
Need help with your wireless or wired connection?
- Students: Call 301-405-1400, the Help Desk at the Office of
Information Technology (OIT)
- Faculty and Staff: Call 301-405-1500, the Help Desk at the
Office of Information Technology (OIT)