How to Request Materials Through the Catalog
You may request a book from the stacks at any campus library and have it delivered either to a different library on campus or to the service desk at the library where the book is housed. Holds in McKeldin will be placed on the Self-Service Holds Shelf across from the Library Services Desk. See the instructions below or download our PDF guide, "How to order a book for delivery."
If a book’s status in the catalog says “On Shelf,” you should be able to request it through the catalog. If the material has a due date listed in the catalog and is currently checked out, or if it is only available at another campus or USMAI library, you should be able to request it in the same way.
Note: Materials that are not books or books with the status “On Shelf/Non-Circulating” cannot be requested.
To Request the material, go to the catalog record of the item you want to request.
- Click on the "Request Item" button.
- Select UMD College Park as the university.
- Login to the campus server.
- Select the branch you would like the material sent to for your pickup. Some locations may be excluded. Then click the "Send" button.
- Make sure to verify the pickup location and click "send" one more time on the confirmation screen.
- You will see the "Item has been requested for pickup" notification when the hold has been successfully placed.
If there are no holds on the book you selected and the book is on the shelf, it will be delivered to the branch you selected within a few business days. You will be notified by email when the material is ready for pickup.
If you requested an item that is currently checked out, you can go to "My Account" to check on the status of the item, or to delete/remove your request if it no longer is needed.
How to request material that is listed as being in Severn Library:
- Most items in Severn Library can be requested via the Catalog, as shown above.
- Materials from Special Collections and the Archives must be requested in advance and used in the Maryland Room in Hornbake Library.
- If you are not affiliated with the University of Maryland, you can still request items from Severn Library by filling out the Severn Library Request Form.
- If you are not affiliated with the University of Maryland, items from Severn Library will be sent to McKeldin library for use in the library only. Single journal articles will be digitally scanned and sent to the email address you provide.
- You will be notified by email when the material has arrived.