OCLC Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing Program
To promote and facilitate scholarly research and communication among members of their faculties, the university research libraries (members of the Association of Research Libraries) of OCLC have established a program to provide broader access to scholarly materials. These libraries have developed an agreement to extend library privileges to faculty members of other research libraries that are ARL members.
As an ARL member institution, the University of Maryland College Park libraries can provide borrowing privileges and on-site access to the collections of some of the most important research libraries in North America to UMCP campus faculty members.
For UMD Faculty
Current, full-time UMCP faculty members can request a Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing card from the Interlibrary Loan office in McKeldin Library. Requests must be made in person, and requestors must present a current UMD Faculty ID to be eligible.
- Provide current UMD Faculty ID to the Library Services Desk at McKeldin Library for verification of status and library account
- You will be issued a Reciprocal Faculty Borrowers card for the institution(s) you specify that are part of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL). If you are uncertain if the library is a member, check the list of member institutions.
- Please be aware that privileges vary from institution to institution. Materials may be used on the premises of the owning library or may be borrowed, depending on the policies of the lending library. Faculty members intending to visit a participating library may want to check in advance for any limitations and relevant policies and practices of the prospective lending library.
For Visiting Faculty
- Obtain a Reciprocal Faculty Borrowers card from your home institution.
- Fill out the Community Borrowers & Researchers Application. Select "OCLC Reciprocal Borrower" from the Affiliation drop down menu.
- Bring the card as well as a current government issued photo ID to the Library Services Desk at McKeldin library.
- Reciprocal Borrowers to UMD are eligible for Community Borrower privileges.
Please contact the Interlibrary Loan Office in McKeldin Library at 301-405-9178 or email at email@example.com.