Student Employment at the Architecture Library
The Architecture Library is open 59 hours per week this fall semester, with shorter hours during the winter and summer breaks. Periodically we hire student assistants, primarily to work at the Circulation Desk. We seek smart, energetic, friendly and detailed-oriented people who share our purpose: to represent the library well and provide excellent public service to our patrons. As of September 2014, we have hired all the staff we need.
Employment applications are available online, and also in McKeldin library in the Human Resources Office on the 7th Floor. Completed applications should be turned in at McKeldin. Undergraduate and Graduate students are welcome.
Working for the Architecture Library
Hourly Student Positions
Under direct supervision, the student performs routine repetitive clerical and/or non-complex library duties using manual and automated library systems.
- Charges and discharges circulating library materials on automated systems.
- Secures materials with sensitizing equipment.
- Answers inquiries regarding basic circulation policies such as loan periods, fines, recalls, claims, holds, shelving and borrowing.
- Sorts and shelves materials; shelf-reads and maintains folios and stacks.
- Searches and retrieves materials from library shelves.
- Searches manual and automated files to verify holdings or bibliographic information.
- Creates spreadsheets and compiles information.
- Performs online research to answer basic reference questions.
- Provides library users with information and directional assistance in retrieving material from library shelves.
- Verifies shipment contents as they come in; prepares shipments of material going out.
- Provides excellent customer service to library patrons.
- Other duties as assigned.
No experience is required. The applicant must be a current student in good academic standing.