The Art Library is open approximately 70 hours per week during the spring and fall semesters, with shorter hours during the winter and summer breaks. Periodically, we tend to hire student assistants, primarily to work at the Circulation Desk. We seek smart, energetic, friendly and detailed-oriented people who share our purpose: to represent the library well and provide excellent public service to our patrons.
Employment applications are available online, and also in the library at the Circulation Desk. Completed applications should be turned in at the Desk, or directly to the student supervisor. Undergraduate and Graduate students are welcome.
Applications are accepted throughout the year and are generally kept on file for one semester. Anyone looking for a position should apply each semester. Priority is given to Federal Work Study students. Student Assistants at the Art Library are given flexible schedules with evening and weekend hours available. Our location on campus makes it easy to earn money before, between and after classes.
Working for the Art Library
Hourly Student Positions
Under direct supervision, the student performs routine repetitive clerical and/or non-complex library duties using manual and automated library systems.
- Charges and discharges circulating library materials on automated systems.
- Secures materials with sensitizing equipment.
- Answers inquiries regarding basic circulation policies such as loan periods, fines, recalls, claims, holds, shelving and borrowing.
- Sorts and shelves materials; shelf-reads and maintains folios and stacks.
- Searches and retrieves materials from library shelves.
- Searches manual and automated files to verify holdings or bibliographic information.
- Creates spreadsheets and compiles information.
- Performs online research to answer basic reference questions.
- Provides library users with information and directional assistance in retrieving material from library shelves.
- Verifies shipment contents as they come in; prepares shipments of material going out.
- Provides excellent customer service to library patrons.
- Other duties as assigned.
No experience is required. The applicant must be a current student in good academic standing.