Employment at the Engineering and Physical Sciences Library
The Engineering Library is open approximately 93 hours per week during the spring and fall semesters with shorter hours during the winter and summer breaks. Periodically EPSL needs to hire student assistants, primarily to work in the Circulation Office. Employment applications are available in the library at the Information Desk and also online. Completed applications should be turned in at the Information Desk.
Applications are accepted throughout the year and are generally kept on file for one semester. Anyone looking for a position should apply each semester. Priority is given to Federal Work Study Students. No resumes are accepted.
Student Assistants at EPSL are given flexible schedules with evening and weekend hours available. Our location on campus makes it easy to earn money before, between and after classes.
Student Assistant Job Description
Under direct supervision, performs routine repetitive clerical and/or non-complex library duties using manual and automated library systems.
- Charges and discharges circulating library materials on automated systems; secures materials with sensitizing equipment.
- Answers inquiries regarding basic circulation policies such as loan periods, fines, recalls, claims, holds, shelving and borrowing.
- Sorts and shelves materials; shelf-reads and maintains stacks.
- Searches and retrieves materials from library stacks.
- Searches manual and automated files to verify holdings or bibliographic information.
- Provides library users with information and directional assistance in retrieving material from library stacks.
- Verifies shipment contents; checks in library materials. Prepares shipments of material going out.
- Other duties as assigned.
No experience is required. The applicant must be a current student in good standing.
Other Employment at the University of Maryland
All other job openings on campus, including library positions, are posted weekly at https://jobs.umd.edu.