Edison Electric Illuminating Company Incorporated
On December 17, 1880, the Edison Electric Illuminating Company was
incorporated for the purpose of providing electric light to New York City. It
was capitalized with $1,000,000. The first central electric station in the U.S.
was opened by this company on September 4th 1882 at 257 Pearl St. in lower
Manhattan. It had one engine, capable of generating power for 800 light bulbs.
Within 14 months, the service had 508 subscribers and 12,732 bulbs. The company
was the prototype for other local illuminating companies that were established
in the United States during the 1880s. Edison's earlier Electric Light Company
was incorporated on October 15th 1878 for the purpose of financing Edison's
invention of the incandescent lamp.
Books in our collections
of light : Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the race to electrify the world
by Jill Jonnes
electric light : biography of an invention by Robert Friedel, Paul Israel,
Edison, American inventor by Roselyn Hiebert, Eldon Hiebert