Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company, SITI Company: A Rite
February 8 & 9, 2013 8pm Kay Theatre
Choreographer Bill T. Jones and SITI Company’s Anne Bogart come together for the first time in a collaboration entitled A Rite. This new piece deconstructs Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring to create a provocative meditation on the power of new works of art in the alteration of the way we think. Most recently seen at the at the Center in Cafe Variations earlier in the 2012-2013 season, the New York-based SITI Company's three ongoing components are the creation of new work, the training of young theater artists, and a commitment to international collaboration. MacArthur Fellow Bill T. Jones has choreographed works for ballet companies and theaters all over the world, including many for his own Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company. Join these world-renowned artists for a Talk Back after the February 8 performance.Learn more about choreographer Bill T. Jones, the work of SITI Company's director, Anne Bogart, and read reviews of productions staged by this award-winning group in the UM Libraries:
- Books on the SITI Company and director Anne Bogart, including Remaking American Theater: Charles Mee, Anne Bogart and the SITI Company by Scott T Cummings.
- Recordings featuring members of the SITI Company and their students at Utah State University and Skidmore College.
- Articles and Reviews: Read more about the SITI Company and their performances in The New York Times, The Washington Post, and Theatre Journal.
- Recordings: Listen to recordings of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring by conductors and orchestras from around the world (Interested in listening online? Check out these streaming playlists from Naxos Music Library and Alexander Street Press's Classical Music Library.)
- Books: Read about the piece that incited a riot at its 1913 Parisian premiere, and about its composer, one of the most influential figures in 20th century music.