McKeldin Library Study Carrels
Renewals and New Applications for Fall 2014 are now available! See below for details.
McKeldin Library has a number of individual study rooms, known as study carrels, on the 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th floors.
3rd Floor study carrels are open to all library users on a first-come, first-served basis. These rooms cannot be reserved.
4th Floor study carrels are open to all University of Maryland-affiliated library users for 4- or 8-hour reservations. You may reserve a study carrel on these floors by using our online system. Rooms may be reserved from two hours to one week in advance.
- 4-hour reservations: http://umd.libcal.com/booking/mckcarrels4
- 8-hour reservations: http://umd.libcal.com/booking/mckcarrels8
6th and 7th Floor study carrels are reserved for faculty and PhD students in candidacy for a full semester at a time. Faculty and PhD students in candidacy may request a study carrel on these floors by completing our online application. Carrels are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Submit a new application for Fall 2014: http://ter.ps/carrels -- Please note that all carrels have been assigned for the Fall 2014 semester. Completing the application will place you on the wait list. Library staff will notify you if/when a carrel becomes available.
The following rules apply for all study carrels in McKeldin Library:
- Carrels are for quiet individual study only. They are not to be used for group study, meetings, office hours, or sleeping.
- On the 4th floor, carrel users with reservations take priority. You must cede your carrel upon request to a user who has a reservation.
- Users arriving ten or more minutes past their reservation time will forfeit their reservation.
- Carrels are not sound-proof. Audio devices without earphones are not permitted. Cell phone conversations must be kept brief and quiet.
- Do not cover or block door windows. External windows must remain closed and locked.
- Violation of these policies may result in the loss of carrel privileges.
- Additional policies governing 6th and 7th floor carrels are available here. [PDF]
Questions about study carrels? Contact us.