Find It: Accessing Library Materials
What is find it?
find it is a tool that will connect you to the University of Maryland Libraries’ book collection, periodical databases, and e-journals. It provides you with various options for accessing books, journal articles, and more:
- The full text of an article or book may be available electronically. If so, find it will link you to the item by a direct link or through another database.
- Library Holdings: A book, journal, or other item may be physically available in the University of Maryland College Park Libraries, or through another library in the University System of Maryland & Affiliated Institutions (USMAI). When possible, find it will link you to the Libraries’ catalog record for that item.
- Interlibrary Loan: If the item is not available electronically or in a USMAI library, you may be able to borrow a copy from a different library. This process may take at least two weeks.
How to use it:
- Start at the UM Libraries’ home page: www.lib.umd.edu.
- Start typing in the Get Started tab search box to search all items, or click Find Articles to search only for articles found in databases.
- For each relevant result, click the item to get to the record, then click find it to see how to access the item.
Clicking the red find it button on this page:
Will open the find it box:
In Research Port:
In a database record, find it may appear at the bottom of the record:
Interpreting the find it box:
Note: Not all elements represented on this find it menu will be available for every book and/or article that you retrieve in a search.
When you click on find it for an article, you will see a window like this:
Ask library staff for assistance at: umd.libanswers.com
Even when closed, librarians can help answer your questions through the 24/7 Ask Us Now! service.