Find It: Accessing Library Materials
What is find it?
find it is a tool that will connect you to the University of Maryland Libraries’ book collection, periodical databases, and e-journals. It provides you with various options for accessing books, journal articles, and more:
- The full text of an article or book may be available electronically. If so, find it will link you to the item by a direct link or through another database.
- Library Holdings: A book, journal, or other item may be physically available in the University of Maryland College Park Libraries, or through another library in the University System of Maryland & Affiliated Institutions (USMAI). When possible, find it will link you to the Libraries’ catalog record for that item.
- Interlibrary Loan: If the item is not available electronically or in a USMAI library, you may be able to borrow a copy from a different library. This process may take at least two weeks.
How to use it:
- Start at the UM Libraries’ home page: www.lib.umd.edu.
- Start typing in the Get Started tab search box to search all items, or click Find Articles to search only for articles found in databases.
- For each relevant result, click the item to get to the record, then click find it to see how to access the item.
In WorldCat UMD:
Clicking the red find it button on this page:
Will open the find it box:
In Research Port:
In a database record, find it may appear at the bottom of the record:
Interpreting the find it box:
When you click on find it for an article, this is an example of the window that will appear:
Note: Not all elements represented on this find it menu will be available for every book and/or article that you retrieve in a search.
Ask library staff for assistance at: umd.libanswers.com
Even when closed, librarians can help answer your questions through the 24/7 Ask Us Now! service.