What is WorldCat UMD?
WorldCat UMD is the University Libraries’ primary catalog that allows you to discover and gain access to the resources that serve your teaching and research needs. This new discovery tool brings to your fingertips the collections of libraries from around the world, as well as the University of Maryland’s print and electronic resources. For more information on WorldCat UMD see: lib.guides.umd.edu/worldcatumd
Accessing WorldCat UMD (on/off campus)
Located front and center on the Libraries’ home page: lib.umd.edu
Searching from off campus? Go to umaryland.worldcat.org & login at University of Maryland College Park )
Basic search & results screen
Use the Get Started tab to enter your search terms, then click Search:
- Lists the number of results retrieved (e.g. 1-10 of about 29,949).
- You can choose which library to pull results from. Libraries WorldWide is the default.
- Library and Relevance is the default sort; it displays results ranked by whether UMD Libraries own it in addition to the relevance of your search terms. You may change this to Relevance only.
- Change your search strategy, or perform a new search in this box
- In this column, limit your search by format , author , and other options.
- This area displays your search results. To view a detailed record of an item, click the image or title.
Interpreting a record
These two images illustrate key areas or details within a record:
- The title of the item will be displayed here.
- Depending on the item, there might be a summary describing the content of the item.
- This area of the record provides Cite/export (e.g. APA, MLA, etc.). Print, E-mail and Add to List capabilities.
- Should you want to save and/or copy the URL of this record, use Permalink.
- To learn which versions of this title might be owned by UMD Libraries, click: View all editions and formats.
- Click Find It, or use the UMD Links to this item, to determine if this item is available online.
- The location of the physical copy of an item is displayed here. Status reveals if an item is in or out of the library.
- If an item is checked out, you may Request Item to have it recalled.
- Sometimes an item is located at a partner library; these other locations are listed here. Click Request Item to have it delivered to a College Park campus library so that you may borrow it.