Baseball — The earliest known sport played on campus. The cadets of the Maryland Agricultural College began playing baseball competitively around the time of the Civil War, and 1998 marked the 100th anniversary of the baseball team's first state championship.
Basketball, men's — Competition began in the 1904-5 academic year, and more recently the Terrapins capped off the 2003-2004 season with their eleventh straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament, a school record. At least 30 Terps that have gone on to play for the NBA, including active players Joe Smith, Obinna Ekezie, Laron Profit, Tony Massenburg, Steve Francis, Juan Dixon, Lonny Baxter, Terence Morris, Chris Wilcox, and Steve Blake. Steve Francis won co-rookie of the year for the 1999-2000 season as a Houston Rocket, sharing this honor with Elton Brand of the Chicago Bulls. The Terps were ACC season champions in 1975, 1980, 1995 (co-champions), 2002, and 2010 (co-champions) and have won the ACC Tournament three times in 1958, 1984, and 2004. The Terrapins made their first NCAA Final Four appearance on March 31, 2001, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, losing to Duke, 95-84. The following year, the Terps won the national championship, defeating Indiana, 64-52, on April 1, 2002. (See also Olympians and Alumni of Note.)
Basketball, women's — First organized play on campus in 1923 and first officially recognized team in 1971. The Terps won the ACC Tournament in 1978, 1979, 1981-1983, 1986, 1988-1989, and 2009. The team reached the NCAA Final Four in 1982, 1989, and 2006, winning their first national championship in 2006 with a victory over Duke, 78-75, in overtime. The first ever nationally televised women's college basketball game was played at Cole Field House on January 26, 1975. Maryland lost to Immaculata. The university has also hosted the ten largest crowds ever to see an ACC women's basketball game, including: 14,500 on February 12, 1992, vs. Virginia; 16,344 on February 22, 2009 vs. Duke; 17,243 on February 13, 2005, vs. Duke; 17,950 on January 28, 2007, vs. North Carolina; and 17,950 on February 18, 2007, vs. Duke. (See also Maryland Women's Basketball: Under the Shell, Olympians, and Alumni of Note.)
Beanies — From the 1920s to the 1960s, freshman students were required to wear beanies everywhere they went on campus, from their first day of school until the freshmen-sophomore tug-of-war, held during the spring semester. The beanies were known as "rat caps" for the men and "rabbit caps" for the women.
Behavioral and Social Sciences, College of — The University created this college in 1986 from parts of other administrative entities. For more information, visit the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences website.
Benches — There are two benches on campus dedicated to members of the Department of English, one near Susquehanna Hall in memory of Nancy Moore and Sue Oswald, the other adjacent to Taliaferro Hall honoring Sam Schoenbaum, renowned Shakespearean scholar.
Benjamin Building — Constructed in 1966 and named for Harold Benjamin, dean of the College of Education, 1939-1943 and 1947-1951. Outside the building stands a Colorado blue spruce tree planted in memory of Dr. David G. Kyle (1923-1979) of the Institute for Child Study.
Biology-Psychology Building — Formerly known as the Zoology-Psychology Building, the building was renamed in 1998.
Biosciences Building — The building was dedicated in September 2007. It houses 35 labs, two biosafety level 3 containment facilities, a 500-seat lecture hall, and numberous conference spaces and is home to the Maryland Pathogen Research Institute.
Book, oldest — The oldest complete book owned by the University of Maryland Libraries dates from 1482 and is entitled Confessionale anthonini. It is a collection of sermons on Christian ethics an drepentance by Saint Antoninus, Archbishop of Florence.
Bowl games — As of 2010, the Terps have been to 23 bowl games: Gator Bowl (1948, 1950, 1975, and 2004); Orange Bowl (1954, 1956, and 2002); Peach Bowl (1973 and 2002); Liberty Bowl (1975); Cotton Bowl (1977); Hall fo Fame Bowl (1977); Sun Bowl (1978, 1984); Tangerine Bowl (1980); Aloha Bowl (1982); Florida Citrus Bowl (1983); Cherry Bowl (1985); Independence Bowl (1990); Champs Sports Bowl (2006); Emerald Bowl (2007); and Roady's Humanitarian Bowl (2008).
Bowling — The university had a bowling team in 1985. There is a bowling alley on campus, located in the basement of the Adele Stamp Student Union.
Broadway hit — The musical Damn Yankees is based on the book The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant by J. Douglas Wallop III (Business and Public Administration, Class of 1942). Damn Yankees opened on Broadway at the 46th Street Theatre on May 5, 1955 and ran for 1,019 performances. The successful show became a movie in 1958, starring Tab Hunter, Gwen Verdon, and Ray Walston. Local theatre groups around the United States often choose to stage this play, and which also enjoyed a stage revival on Broadway, headlined by Jerry Lewis, in the 1990s.
Bryant, Paul "Bear" — The legendary coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide actually led the Terps on the gridiron for one season in 1945. In Bryant's first game, the Terps defeated the Guilford College Quakers 60-6 in front of 7,000 fans at Byrd Stadium on September 28, 1945.
Building, largest — The building on campus that covers the most gross square feet (GSF) is the Regents Drive Parking Garage (532,805 GSF). Excluding parking garages, the building on campus that covers the most gross square feet is the Comcast Center (470,000 GSF).
Building, oldest — The oldest building on campus whose facade is largely intact is Morrill Hall, constructed in 1898. Although the Rossborough Inn was originally built between 1802 and 1814, extensive renovations have significantly altered the appearance of the building's exterior.
Buildings — As of Fall 2004, there were 270 buildings on campus (excluding the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute, Agricultural Experiment Station, leased facilities, graduate apartments, Laboratory for Physical Science, and the Central Heating Plant). For a complete list of campus buildings, visit the University of Maryland, College Park, Building Index.
Byrd Stadium — Constructed in 1950 and named for Harry Clifton Byrd, class of 1908 and president of the University of Maryland, 1935-1954. Full capacity is 48,055 people. Maryland beat Navy 35-21 in the opening game on September 30, 1950. Maryland quarterback Jack Scarbath scored the first touchdown in the new stadium. Scarbath was later named an All-American, and he was runner-up for the 1952 Heisman Trophy as Maryland's first Heisman nominee. View film of the opening game in Byrd Stadium.