Kennedy, John F. — Senator John F. Kennedy visited campus twice before he became president of the United States. His first visit was on April 27, 1959, when he was the featured speaker at spring convocation. Speaking to a crowd of over 5,000, he encouraged the students to consider entering politics and to work to solve the problems of the nation. Kennedy also called for the repeal of the Student Loyalty Oath, required by the 1958 National Defense Education Act. A little more than a year later, Senator Kennedy was back at the University of Maryland on May 14, 1960, for a presidential campaing rally.
Kennedy, Robert F. — Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, accompanied by Soviet Ambassador to the United States Anatoly Dobrynin, attended an international basketball program at the University of Maryland on the evening of November 10, 1962. Kennedy and Dobrynin watched the U.S. men's team defeat the Russian men's team, 85-60. The U.S. women lost to the Russian women, 50-44. UM President Elkins, Mrs. Elkins, and Director of Athletics William Cobey hosted the dignitaries.
Kent Hall — Dormitory constructed in 1944; designed by Edwin Wilson Booth and named for Kent County, Maryland. The name "Kermit" is carved into the side of the front outside stairway, which has led to speculation that Jim Henson lived in this dormitory; student directories show, however, that Henson never lived on campus during his undergraduate studies.
Kim, Jeong H.; Engineering Building — Dedicated on September 19, 2005, the Kim Engineering Building contains classrooms, offices, laboratories, and meeting spaces designed to support research and teaching in nanotechnology, information technology, biotechnology, microelectronics and micro-electro mechanical systems, sensors and actuators, transportation systems, and space systems. The building was named in honor of Jeong H. Kim (Ph.D. 1991) a Clark School of Engineering faculty member and the president of Lucent Technologies' Bell Labs.
Kissing Tunnel — Historical name for the tunnel that runs beneath Regents Drive south of Memorial Chapel.
Knight Hall, John S. and James L. — Dedicated in January 2010 as the new home of the Philip Merrill College of Journalism. Knight Hall is the first green building on campus and features a high percentage of regional and recylcled building materials, plumbing fixtures designed to reduce water usage, and an underground water collection system that will be used to irrigate this portion of campus, as well as the provision of natural daylight to more than 85 percent of the building's interior spaces. Named to honor a gift of more than $21 million to the college from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, created by the brothers who founded the Knight Newspapers chain, later known as Knight Ridder.