Letter L

Lacrosse, men's — The Terrapins first fielded a men's lacrosse team in 1910 and have won eleven national championships, the first in 1928 and the most recent in 1975. They have made 21 appearances in the NCAA Semifinals. A club team played lacrosse at the college as early as 1895.

Kelly Amonte playing lacrosse Lacrosse, women's — First organized in 1977 and winners of the AIAW national title in 1981; the Lady Terrapins have won eleven NCAA national championships, including seven straight from 1995 through 2001; this winning streak is one of the longest in Division I women's athletics, exceeded only by Louisiana State University's track and field team (eleven championships, 1987 to 1997) and the University of North Carolina's soccer team (nine championships, 1986 to 1994).

LaPlata Hall — Dormitory constructed in 1968; named for LaPlata, Maryland, county seat of Charles County. LaPlata was the first dormitory on campus to be air-conditioned.

Lee Building — Constructed in 1968; named for Blair Lee III, member of the Board of Regents and Lieutenant Governor of Maryland. The building features dedication plaques honoring Lee, and Ben and Hotsy Alperstein, former University of Maryland boxing stars and major university supporters. Originally known as the South Administration Building.

LeFrak Hall — Constructed in 1928; named for Samuel LeFrak, real estate developer and alumnus (Class of 1940).

Leonardtown Community — Named for Leonardtown, Maryland, county seat of St. Mary's County.

Letterwinner, first female — Margaret Guy Schmidt (Class of 1958) was the first female athlete at the University of Maryland to earn an "M" and to join the M Club. Miss Schmidt was recognized for her accomplishments on the rifle team. At one time, she held six shooting records, and she won 200 medals and three trophies. See also M Club and M Club, Women's.

Librarian, first — Miss Lulu Conner was hired in 1915 as the Maryland Agricultural College's first full-time professional librarian.

Long Gainer — The first known work of fiction about the University of Maryland was written by William Manchester and published by Little, Brown and Company in 1961. Copies of The Long Gainer are available through the UMD Libraries.

return to top