Radio School, first — The Department of Speech began a radio school in conjunction with the Columbia Broadcasting System during the 1937-1938 academic year, the first of its kind in the United States.
Reckord Armory — Constructed in 1944; designed by Hopkins & Fletcher. Named for Major General Milton A. Reckord, Adjutant General of Maryland. The building served as a dormitory for GIs returning from World War II. The two mortars at the fron of the building are believed to have been used by the Maryland Militia during the Civil War. The world famous rock band Hootie and the Blowfish filmed a portion of their music video for the song "Only Wanna Be With You" on the floor of Reckord Armory.
Red and White Game — Annual intra-squad scrimmage at the end of spring football practice. These spring football games date to at least 1948, when then-coach Jim Tatum actually held four of them. In 1951, the scrimmage became a contest between current Terps and recent alumni, and this lasted until 1962. In 1963, the contest once again became an intra-squad scrimmage, with the first usage of "red" and "white" to describe the teams appearing in 1964. Prior contests called the divided squads "Terps," "Old Liners," or "Free Staters." Since 2001, the Red-White Game has been a featured event on Maryland Day, the campus-wide open house conducted each year on the last Saturday in April.
Rhodes Scholars — Tom McMillen earned this distinction in 1974. At the time, he was also the all-time top scorer in Maryland basketball history. University President Wilson H. Elkins was the first Rhodes Scholar to be associated with the campus.
Riggs, Samuel IV Alumni Center — opened in 2005; named for Samuel Riggs IV, Class of 1950 (B.S. Business Administration), a philanthropist, cattle farmer, and construction company official who devised the idea to construct a building solely for Maryland alumni; designed by noted architect Hugh Newell Jacobsen (Class of 1951, honorary doctorate 1993). Riggs Alumni Center houses the offices of the Alumni Association and other University Relations staff members, Orem Alumni Hall, the Philip R. Rever Alumni Hall of Fame, and numerous other meeting and special event rooms.
Rockets — The University of Maryland has long been in the forefront of space research. Dr. S. Fred Singer, who pioneered many of the University's early ventures into rocketry and satellite research, designed the "Terrapin" and "Oriole" high altitude rockets which were built and launched at very low costs compared to the value of the data they gathered. The "Terrapin," a fifteen-foot, two-stage rocket, weighing approximately 225 pounds, could soar eighty miles into space at speeds of up to 3800 miles per hour; the first test firing of this rocket occurred in November 1957.
Rossborough Inn — Constructed between 1802 and 1814 and named for the Ross family. The Rossborough originally served travellers on the main road between Baltimore and Washington. The inn has also served as the headquarters for the Agricultural Experiment Station, a dormitory, and the home of the Faculty/Staff Club. Extensive renovations have altered the original appearance of the exterior significantly.
Rotocraft Center, Alfred Gessow — One of three centers established by the Army Research Office in 1982. The center was named for Alfred Gessow, leading helicopter expert and professor emeritus in the Department of Aerospace Engineering.