Sadat Chair for Population Development and Peace — Established in 1997 to continue the peace-building efforts of Anwar Sadat, slain Egyptian president. The chair is based in the Department of Government and Politics.
- Night - Day is a sculpture resembling Stonehenge along the path between Holzapfel and H. J. Patterson Halls.
- An untitled sculpture stands behind the Architecture Building. It was given in memory of Herbert E. Rycroft II and sculpted by Raymond Kaskey in 1972.
- "Bradford," a metal sculpture in front of the Chemistry Building was created by Lila Katzen and given to the University by George Snow, professor of physics from 1958 to 1992, and his wife Lila.
- Two glazed ceramic lions imported from China sit on either side of the doorway to the Institute for Global Chinese Affairs in Francis Scott Key Hall.
- The Henson Statue outside the Stamp Student Union was dedicated to alumnus and Muppets creator Jim Henson in 2003.
- The "Bird's I View" statue of a blue bird near parking lot 1 was created by Michele Colburn. It was originally sponsored by the Prince George's Arts Council and was placed on the campus through the generosity of Patsy Mote.
- Bust of Charles E. White is displayed in the Chemistry Library. White was professor of chemistry from 1938 to 1968, department chair in 1966 and 1967, and professor emeritus from 1968 to 1973. The Chemistry Library is named for him.
- Bust of Glenn L. Martin is displayed in Glenn L. Martin Hall.
Seal — The university's original seal was based upon the Great Seal of Maryland. It incorporated the arms of the Calvert and Crossland families and the figures of a farmer and a fisherman, representing the estates of Lord Baltimore, the founder of Maryland. The new seal, introduced in 1998, consists of a globe in the four colors of the Maryland state flag, the date 1856, honoring the founding of the Maryland Agricultural College, and the words "University of Maryland."
Severn Building — Two University of Maryland Building have been named for the Severn River in Anne Arundel County. The first was constructed in 1958, and most recently housed the Office of Technical Liaison. It was demolished during the 1999-2000 academic year to make way for new student housing along Knox Road. The current Severn Building is a former Washington Post printing plant located on Greenbelt Road. The building was renamed in 2010 after it was purchased by the university as part of the first phase of the East Campus development project.
Shoemaker Building — Constructed in 1931. The building was named for Samuel M. Shoemaker, chairman of the Board of Regents, 1916-1933. The building once served as the main library, before the construction of McKeldin Library, and currently houses the Counseling Center.
Smith School of Business, Robert H. — Named in 1998 for Robert H. Smith, developer and philanthropist. Smith is an alumnus of the class of 1950 from the business school. The Smith School of Business traces its origins to 1921, when the Department of Economics/Business Administration offered its first formal business courses. For more information, visit the history page at the Robert H. Smith School of Business website.
Soap Opera — Part of the November 14, 2002 episode of the soap opera As the World Turns was filmed on campus. Characters Aaron, Alison, and Lucy come to the University of Maryland. Alison and Lucy volunteer to play on an Ultimate Frisbee team, while Aaron dons a pink rabbit costume to serve as a cheerleader during the Frisbee game, in exchange for a place to stay for the night with a UMD student.
Soccer, men's — Men's soccer was first organized in 1938. The team was co-national champion in 1968 and national champion in 2005 and 2008. They won the ACC championship 14 years in a row, ending in 1966, and won again in 1971. They were also ACC Tournament Champions in 1996, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2013, and appeared in the NCAA Semifinals in 1963, 1969, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2013.
Soccer, women's — Women's soccer was first organized in 1931, but the team's first official competition was in 1987. Between 1995 and 2012, the team made thirteen appearances in the NCAA tournament, and earned the #1 seed for the first time in 2010. Also in 2010, coach Brian Pensky was the first women's soccer coach at Maryland to be named National Coach of the Year.
Songs — Several songs commonly heard at official campus events and athletic contests include the "Alma Mater," the "Maryland Victory Song," and the "Maryland Fight Song."
Sororities, African-American — Zeta Phi Beta was the first African-American sorority to establish a chapter on campus. The national sorority, headquartered in Washington, DC, granted the Eta Epsilon chapter its charter on October 14, 1973.
Sororities, Latina — The Upsilon chapter of Lambda Theta Alpha Latina Sorority is the first Latina sorority and the first Latino/a Greek organization established on campus. It received its charter on June 4, 1995.
Sororities, first — Kappa Kappa Gamma was the first sorority on campus. The chapter, originally known as Sigma Delta, was formed in 1920, only four years after women were admitted to the university. The group lost its charter on May 14, 1992. A list of active sororities on campus is available on the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life website.
St. Mary's Hall — Dormitory constructed in 1932; named for St. Mary's County, Maryland. The building was originally named Margaret Brent Hall in honor of the 17th century entrepreneur who served as the executor of Maryland Governor Leonard Calvert's estate when he died in 1647. Brent is also renowned for being the first woman in the Maryland colony to request the right to vote.
Stamp, postage — The first alumnus to be featured on a postage stamp was Jim Henson (Class of 1960). Henson, the creator of the world-famous Muppets, joined Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Rowlf the Dog, Fozzie Bear, and several of his other early characters on commemorative stamps issued by the United States Postal Service on September 28, 2005, in Los Angeles, CA.
Stamp Student Union, Adele — The student union building was constructed in 1954 and named for Adele H. Stamp, dean of women (1922-1960), in 1983. Astronaut Judith Resnick (Ph.D. 1977) spoke at the dedication ceremony.
Streaking — Streaking, or the practice of nude running, was a phenomenon that criss-crossed the United States in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Terrapins are sometimes credited with coining the term "streaking," but the first printed use comes from a 1967 Carleton College publication entitled "Loosely Speaking." Carleton students John D. Bell, Mark Dubach, H.G. Fuller, and Paul Menzel defined "streak" as "to run, nude and impudent, from one building to another any time after dark." Streaking appears to have first occured at Maryland in 1969. According to a Diamondback article, the University's first nude female runner streaked across Cambridge complex at 11:00 p.m. on Monday, February 24, 1969, pursued by at least 20 male students. Although male nude runners were nothing new to the Cambridge complex, the night before the coed's sprint was especially chaotic with two male streakers, "obscene chants, and a brief but massive panty raid." Two photographs of mass streaks appeared in the 1974 Terrapin yearbook, followed by quote from William Thomas, acting vice chancellor, condemning these "nude running incidents."
Student, first — George H. Calvert, the 17-year-old son of Maryland Agricultural College founder Charles Benedict Calvert, was the first student to register in the initial MAC class in 1859. His brothers Charles, William, and Eugene joined him in the first class to enter the college.
Student groups — The first two student groups on campus were the Mercer Literary Society and the Calvert Fraternity. Two of the oldest student groups still active are the Terrapin Trail Club, founded in 1937, and Gymkana, founded in 1946. For more information, see the list of current student groups that are officially recognized by the undergraduate and graduate student governments.
Student Honor Council — The Student Honor Council traces its origins to the university's adoption of a Code of Academic Integrity in 1989. The following year the university established the council under the leadership of Toby Linden, a graduate student in philosophy. The Student Honor Council handles violations of the Code of Academic Integrity, deciding upon and administering appropriate punishments on a case-by-case basis. The Council also strives to broaden the use and undestanding of the university's Honor Pledge, created in 2001. A detailed history is available at the Student Honor Council website.
Sundial — A large sundial is located in the center of McKeldin Mall. It was originally a gift from the Class of 1965, the Department of Physics and Astronomy, and friends of Professor Uco Van Wijk, who died in 1966. Dr. Van Wijk was the first faculty member in the astronomy program and was responsible for establishing the Observatory on campus. The sundial was renovated with donations from the Class of 1990.
Super Bowl — Four University of Maryland quarterbacks have played in the Super Bowl: Norman "Boomer" Esiason (Super Bowl XXIII, 1988, Cincinnati Bengals), Frank Reich (Super Bowls XXV-XXVIII, 1990-1993, Buffalo Bills), Neil O'Donnell (Super Bowl XXX, 1995, Pittsburgh Steelers and Super Bowl XXXIV, 2000, Tennessee Titans), and Scott Zolak (Super Bowl XXXI, 1996, New England Patriots).
Symons Hall — Constructed in 1940 and named for Thomas B. Symons, a 1902 graduate of the Maryland Agricultural College who later served as dean of the College of Agriculture (1937 to 1950), acting president of the University of Maryland (1954), and director of the Cooperative Extension Service (1914 to 1950).