Taliaferro Hall — The building was constructed between 1894 and 1896, and its cornerstone describes the dedication of building in 1908. It was named for Thomas Hardy Taliaferro, dean of the College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences. The name is pronounced "Tolliver," the common regional pronunciation.
Tawes Fine Arts Building — Building constructed in 1965 and named for J. Millard Tawes, governor of Maryland (1958-1966). The building houses the Homer Ulrich Recital Hall, dedicated in 1994 in honor of Ulrich, professor and chairman of the Department of Music.
Terrapin Club — Organized by 150 alumni in August 1946 to “aid in the development and expansion” of the university. Talbot T. Speer, spokesman for the club stated in the August 11, 1946, Baltimore Sun, that “the sole purpose of the club is ‘to promote the academic standing of the university’ along with its physical growth, and to attract students of outstanding ability, whether intellectual or athletic.” The Terrapin Club is now primarily associated with athletics, and members pay the scholarship bill for UMD athletes.
Terrapin Reading Society — The society selects one book each year for students to discuss in extra-curricular activities which include movies, an essay-writing contest, and a publication. Organized in 1994 as "First Year Book" and originally intended for freshmen.
Testudo — The Diamondback terrapin that serves as the official mascot of the University of Maryland. The original derivation of Testudo's name is uncertain, but several possible sources have been suggested through the years: the scientific classification for turtles ("testudines"), "testudo gigantea," a species of turtle native the Seychelles in Africa, or the Latin word "testudo" for a shelter held over the heads of soldiers, like a shell. The Story of Testudo.
Timchal, Cindy — Former head coach of top-ranked women's lacrosse team. Upon winning the national championship game on May 20, 2001, Timchal passed William Smith's Pat Genovese on the all-time collegiate list for coaching wins. Maryland's victory was the 268th of Timchal's career (192 at Maryland and 76 at Northwestern), giving her one more than Genovese and making her women's lacrosse's all-time leader.
Toll, John S. Physics Building — On May 3, 2001, the university's physics building was renamed in honor of scientist, scholar, and educator John S. Toll. Toll is a former physics department chair at Maryland and former president and chancellor of the University of Maryland System.
Tony Awards — University of Maryland faculty member Brian MacDevitt, an associate professor of Dance/Theatre Design and Production in the School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies, is the winner of five Tony Awards. He won his fifth in 2011 for Best Lighting of a Musical for The Book of Mormon. He has been nominated 11 times and was previously honored for his work on Joe Turner's Come and Gone (2009); The Coast of Utopia [Part 1 - Voyage] (2007); The Pillowman (2005); and Into the Woods (2002). He also received a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Lighting Design for The Coast of Utopia [Part 1 - Voyage], his sixth nomination for that honor.
Tora! Tora! Tora! — Famous World War II saga that was the basis for the movie of the same name penned by History Department faculty member Dr. Gordon W. Prange, who died in 1980. The world-renowned collection of publications produced in Japan during the Allied Occupation from 1945 to 1949 owned by the UMD Libraries bears his name.
Tornado — On September 24, 2001, around 5:30 p.m., an F3 tornado touched down on campus, killing two students -- sisters Colleen and Erin Marlatt -- and causing major damage to North Campus near Easton Hall. Temporary trailers housing the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute were also destroyed.
Truman Scholars — Melissa Boteach (Class of 2005) received a Truman Scholarship in 2004, Phillip Hannam (Class of 2009) received a scholarship in 2008, and Dylan Rebois (Class of 2011) received a scholarship in 2010. This highly competitive award, presented by the Harry S. Truman Foundation, is given to college juniors who have demonstrated outstanding leadership and devotion to careers in public service. Only 75 to 80 students receive Truman Scholarships each year.
Tug-of-war — This annual struggle between the freshman and sophomore classes during the spring semester marked the end of the beanie-wearing season for the freshman. The traditional contest over Paint Branch Creek began about 1915 and continued into the early 1950s.
Turner Hall (Turner Laboratory) — Building constructed in 1924 and named for Philip C. Turner, member of the Board of Regents (1941 to 1952). Turner Hall is home to the University of Maryland's famous dairy. It was originally nicknamed "The Shirt Factory."
Tydings Hall — Building constructed in 1961 and named for Millard E. Tydings, U. S. Senator (1927-1951) and 1910 graduate of the Maryland Agricultural College. Tydings Hall was originally the home of the College of Business and Public Administration, as noted in a plaque outside the building.
Tydings Trophy — Trophy named for U.S. Senator and UM alumnus Millard E. Tydings (Class of 1910), awarded annually to the winner of the Maryland vs. Virginia football game from 1926 to 1945. The trophy consisted of an actual-size, silver-colored football mounted on a wooden base and trophy was inscribed "Senator M.E. Tydings Trophy to be given annually in honor of Dr. W.A. Lambeth and Dr. Albert Lefevre of The University of Virginia to victor in annual Virginia - Maryland football game." These two gentlemen were honored for their dedication to improving sportsmanship on the athletic field and their role in creating the Southern Conference, to which Maryland belonged prior to becoming a charter member of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).
Tyser Tower — Constructed in 1991 as the "Athletics Welcome Center" and press box in Byrd Stadium. The tower is 92 feet by 152 feet and was named for Ralph J. Tyser (Class of 1940), a major university supporter. Mr. Tyser is also honored with a portrait in Van Munching Hall to recognize his support of the auditorium facilities in that building.