Wasserman Library — The College of Library and Information Services library was located in Hornbake Library, South Wing. The library was named for Paul Wasserman, founding dean and professor of the College of Library and Information Services, now known as the College of Information Studies. The library closed in December 2005.
Water, bodies of — There are two catch basins and five fountains on campus. Paint Branch Creek also travels through the northern portion of the university's acreage, and Guilford Run flows along part of the southern border.
Water Polo — The women's water polo squad began varsity competition in spring 2004 in the East Coast Athletic Conference (ECAC). As a club team facing intercollegiate competition, the water polo team finished ninth in the United States in 1998.
Weinermobile — May 2001 graduate LaToya Morgan is the first Terrapin known to have driven the Oscar Mayer company's 27-foot-long Weinermobile. Ms. Morgan, a communications major, went on the road with the Weinermobile from summer 2001 to summer 2002, traveling an average of 500 miles per week.
White Memorial Library, Charles E. — Library constructed in 1975. The library is located inside the Chemistry Building and is named for Charles E. White, professor and chair of the Department of Chemistry.
"Who Want to Be a Millionaire" — The first University of Maryland student to appear on this game show, which debuted in 199, was Emily Guskin, who won $25,000 on the May 4, 2006, installment of the show.
Wind tunnel — The Glenn L. Martin Wind Tunnel is a low speed wind tunnel used for aerodynamic research and development since its construction on campus in 1949. The tunnel has been used to conduct over 1,800 experiments and projects involving airplanes, battleships, sailboat keels, missiles, antennas, submarines, military ejection seats, automobiles, and athletic equipment. Top speed that can be achieved if the tunnel is empty is 230 miles per hour. More information about the wind tunnel can be found on the Department of Aerospace Engineering website.
Williams Building, A. V. — The building was constructed in 1988 and named for Albert Vaughn Williams (Class of 1917), road contractor.
WMUC — Among the oldest campus radio stations in the world. In 1937, a radio program was established at the university in partnership with CBS (Columbia Broadcasting System) -- the beginning of a storied history in radio. The first campus radio station, called the Old Line Network, began in 1942, but was shut down in January 1943 due to student enlistment in World War II. The new campus radio station, WMUC, went on the air on October 11, 1948, and with the exception of a few months of rewiring in 1949, has been runnng continuously ever since. WMUC first accepted female disc jockeys during the 1952-1953 academic year. The radio station has been located in the South Campus Dining Hall since 1974. For more information, see the station history page of the station website.
Women of Note, Faculty and Staff — A webpage created by Dave Ottalini in University Communications, now also available at MAC to Millennium.
Women students — The 1917 Reveille yearbook touted Elizabeth Hook and Charlotte Vaux as the first women to matriculate officially at Maryland State College of Agriculture in 1916. Miss Hook received a B.S. in entomology in 1920 and Miss Vaux a two-year degree in agriculture in 1918. Evidence recently uncovered in the files of President Harry Clifton Byrd, and confirmed in a commencement program, identifies an earlier bachelor's degree recipient, Grace B. Holmes in 1919. Unlike Miss Hook, Miss Holmes did not spend her entire collegiate career in residence at the university, so Miss Hook is usually recognized as the first female to graduate with a four-year degree.
The first female student to attend classes at the Maryland Agricultural College was probably Flora Iris Darling, who took the short course in floriculture in 1907.
Women's Basketball Hall of Fame — With the induction of the 2011 class of honorees into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, there are now three Terps in the hall: former player and Olympian Tara Heiss, inducted in 2003, long-time coach Chris Weller, inducted in 2010, and former player, Olympian, and WNBA star Vicky Bullet.
Wooded Hillock — A 22.4 acre area north and east of the Comcast Center that is home to eight species of oak, more than 45 species of birds, and five species of bees, among other native plants and animals. In 2009, students and faculty successfully protested the potential development of this area as part of the East Campus project, organizing a "Save the Hillock" petition, passing an SGA resolution against the development, and bringing the issue to a vote at the University Senate. The preservation of this area contributes to the university's current environmental and sustainability policies. The wooded hillock is used as an outdoor classroom for laboratory exercises in several undergraduate and graduate level courses.
World record holder — Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah was a world record holder in the high hurdles during his days on the University of Maryland track team. Skeets went on to qualify for the 1980 Olympic team and played wide receiver for the Super Bowl Champion San Franciso 49ers from 1982 to 1984.
World Series — Charlie Keller (Class of 1937) is the only Terrapin baseball player to have appeared in the World Series and baseball's All-Star Game. Keller led the Yankees to a four-game sweep of the Cincinnati Reds in the 1939 Series, batting .438 and driving in 11 of the 17 Yankee runs.
Wrestling — First organized in 1938 and became a varsity sport in 1940. The team was national and conference powerhouse in the 1950s and 1960s, ACC Champions in 1954-1973, 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2012, and ACC Tournament winners in 1973. Maryland has two NCAA champions — Bob Kopnisky, 1965 (157 pounds) and Gobel Kline, 1969 (152 pounds).