Borrowing eligibility and loan periods are determined by your status and affiliation. For more information, see Access to Collections & Facilities. Please also see your responsibilities as a borrower.
Borrowers should return library materials by the due date shown in My Account in the Catalog.
- Please note that the following materials should be returned to the location from which you borrowed them:
- interlibrary loan items
- course reserve items
- special loans
- All other types of materials may be returned to any UMD library with the exception of Hornbake Library (see UMD's Eight Libraries). They may also be returned to libraries at any of the other USMAI campuses.
- Exterior book drops are available at several locations.
- Return receipts are available for you upon request at most locations.
Note that while you may return sound recordings and audiovisual materials from UMD (College Park) campus libraries to any USMAI library, we encourage you to return those items to the owning location (e.g., Library Media Services or the Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library) to avoid damage.
Most material may be renewed online 24 hours, 7 days a week from the Catalog in My Account.
Materials that cannot be renewed include:
- Materials recalled by another patron
- Materials more than 30 days overdue
- Materials that have reached a renewal limit imposed by the owning library
- Materials that are not in-hand to be presented at the service desk for the requested renewal
If you are unable to renew online you may visit any UMD library or any other USMAI Library for assistance.
Please note that:
- Nonprint media items, interlibrary loan items, course reserve items or special loans are not available for online renewal
- We are unable to renew items over the phone or at our service desks unless we have the item in hand
Recalled material is material that another patron has requested to use. When that person recalls your material, the due date on your material will be shortened and you will be notified by email if you have an email address on file with the library (use My Account to verify), or by regular mail if not.
- is emailed or mailed to the person who has the material currently checked out at the email or mailing address noted in My Account
- shows the new due date which is 14 days from the notice date or the original due date, whichever is sooner.
- recall fines are $2.00 per day if not returned by the new due date
- there is no grace period
- two or more overdue recall items block library services for you until recalled items are returned
As a borrower, it is your responsibility to:
- keep the borrowed items in good physical condition
- return or renew library materials by the due date
- be aware of the library materials' due date as shown in My Account
- return recalled material by its recall due date as shown in My Account in the catalog
- inform the Library and the Registrar's Office of any changes to your name, address, or phone number--see Updating Your Contact Information
- report a lost card immediately to the Library and the Registrar's Office
- show damage to Circulation staff before borrowing, to avoid paying charges for pre-existing damage
- pay any charges assessed to you
You should NOT:
- loan your UMD ID or other borrower's card to anyone else to use
- deface library materials
- write, underline, or use a highlighter in library materials
- fold, cut, or tear pages from library materials
- leave self-adhesive notes or paper clips in library materials