Chesapeake Information and Research Library Alliance (CIRLA)
The Chesapeake Information and Research Library Alliance (CIRLA) - of which the University of Maryland College Park is a member, is a direct reciprocal borrowing agreement for graduate students and faculty. It is devoted to the acquisition, distribution, and sharing of information and research resources in support of faculty research and teaching, and graduate study and research.
CIRLA Libraries agree to extend direct, reciprocal, in-person borrowing privileges to graduate students from member universities and researchers and fellows from member federal agencies. Each home library will establish eligibility for direct borrowing privileges. The lending library determines specific privileges, including the maximum number of checkouts and the specific ending date for borrowing privileges. Borrowers under this program are subject to the regulations and loan periods established by the lending library.
These privileges will apply only to the following libraries at each institution:
- Howard University - Howard University Libraries (excludes law and medical)
- Georgetown University - Lauinger Library and Bloomer Science Library
- George Washington University - Gelman Library
- Johns Hopkins University - Eisenhower Library
- National Agricultural Library - Beltsville Library
- Smithsonian Institution - (excludes FreerSackler, Hirshorn, NMAA/NPG)
- University of Delaware - all University of Delaware Libraries
- University of Maryland - all College Park Libraries
Other restrictions and policies may be imposed by individual member libraries.
For UMD Faculty & Students
- Bring a current photo ID to the Library Services Desk at McKeldin Library, where you will fill out an application for borrowing privileges at other CIRLA libraries. Alternately, if you are unable to come to McKeldin, you may request a form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . Be sure to include your UID and current mailing address
- Once the borrower is at the non-University of Maryland library, borrowers will need to visit that institution's circulation or help desk to get a borrowers card, using the approved form you completed at UMD
For CIRLA Users
- Obtain an approved form from your own institution
- Fill out the Community Borrowers and Researchers Application. In the application, select "CIRLA Faculty/Graduate Student" as your affiliation
- Bring the approved form from your own institution and valid photo ID to the Library Services Desk at McKeldin Library. We will issue you a borrowers card for use at our libraries
Contact the Interlibrary Loan Office at 301-405-9178 or email the office at email@example.com.