Green Office Program in the Resource Sharing & Access Services Department at McKeldin Library
The Green Office Program is a voluntary, self-guided initiative that promotes best environmental practices at the University of Maryland. By conserving energy, recycling, and purchasing green office supplies, among other environmentally conscious practices, we make our offices more sustainable and help to curb UM's carbon footprint.
McKeldin Library's Resource Sharing & Access Services Department has pledged to do the following actions to green the library and to support the University's Climate Action Plan and Strategic Plan.
- Include sustainability topics as a regular agenda item at staff meetings
- Turn off computer monitors when not in use and when not working remotely, shut down computers at the end of the day
- Turn lights off when leaving an unoccupied room and use task lighting in place of overhead lights
- Use human power instead of electric power when possible
- Use centralized, shared appliances and equipment such as printers, scanners, copiers and refrigerators
- Complete an energy "power down" before holidays and breaks
Kitchen and Lunch room
- Use reusable cups and mugs
- Report leaks and running taps to Facilities Management
- Use the shuttle, carpool, bike, or walk to on-campus meetings
Meetings and Events
- Use reusable or recyclable containers, cups, and utensils at office meetings and events
- Promote and enable alternatives to in-person meetings i.e. Skype, Adobe Connect, GoTo Meeting
Waste and Recycling Category
- Establish an office supply sharing and re-use area for file folders, binders, pens, tape and use leftover supplies when possible
- Use inter-departmental envelopes for on campus mailings
- Practice single-stream recycling and include recycling instructions near all recycling bins
- Print and copy on both sides of paper and set printer/copiers for automatic double-sided printing whenever possible
- Collect single-sided copier and printer paper for reuse
- Recycle batteries using Facilities Management brown battery collection system
- Arrange for Terrapin Trader to pick up surplus office furniture, electronics and equipment
- Recycle toner and ink cartridge from printers and copy machines
- Participate in "Can the Can"
- Use reusable bins to send books and media to other locations rather than cardboard boxes.