Interlibrary Loan Services
These days one library just isn't enough. Interlibrary Loan Services is your connection to a network of institutions around the globe. Not only do we provide material in all formats (books, articles, A/V, etc.) from other libraries, but we supply material to them as well. Whether it's across the world or across the campus, Interlibrary Loan Services is about getting you the material you need. We strive to make the process easy, fast and efficient so everyone can get to work.
Ever wonder how many books we request through ILL in a year or what's the fastest we've received an article from another library? Check out our ILL Fun Facts page to learn more!
Request an Article or Book Chapter (PDF)
Whether it’s from a book or journal available in print on the UMD Libraries' shelves or a request we send out to to be filled by another lending library, Interlibrary Loan Services can deliver digital copies of journal articles and book chapters to you.
Request a Book or Other Loan
Need a book, DVD, etc. that isn't available from our library? Interlibrary Loan Services will automatically look for the fastest way to fulfill your requests. Whether it's available through partners like the Big Ten Academic Alliance or held by other libraries worldwide, simply submit your request and we'll help you get what you need.
- Eligibility: UMD Students, Faculty, Staff, Research Affiliates, and Retirees
- Typical Turnaround Time: 15+ days due to COVID
- Borrowing Period: 16 weeks (*subject to recalls)
- Delivery Method: Service Desk Pickup, Proxy Pickup, Department Delivery
- Return Method: Service Desk Drop-off
- Fees: No service fee, Replacement fee $125
- Tutorial for requesting a Book or Other Loan
- The Libraries' borrowing policies still apply to Interlibrary Loan materials.