Late Night Study in McKeldin Library
What is this service?
During most of the fall and spring semester, McKeldin Library is open overnight to holders of valid ID cards. Our goal is to provide a safe and quiet study space for our students and affiliated users. All users are expected to comply with the Libraries' Code of Conduct for Library Users.
Library staff and UMD Police will check IDs starting at 11:00 pm. You must show your appropriate ID card to remain in the building after 11:00 pm.
During Late Night, the 1st floor Library Services Desk and the 2nd floor TLC Tech Desk are open. Other library services are closed. See the Dining Services webpage for current Footnotes Cafe hours.
Who can access the library during Late Night hours?
The following users may remain in McKeldin Library during Late Night:
- University of Maryland students, staff, and faculty with valid UMD ID
- University of Maryland University College (UMUC) students with valid photo ID and current UMUC ID registration card
- University System of Maryland & Affiliated Institutions (USMAI) students, staff, and faculty with valid USMAI ID*
- Big Ten Academic Alliance (Big Ten) students, staff, and faculty with valid Big Ten ID card*
* Note that UMUC, USM, and Big Ten users must be in the library by 11pm, and may not leave and re-enter. These ID cards will not work on McKeldin Library's exterior door card swipes.
Community Borrowers and Community Researchers (including UMD Alumni, Friends of the Libraries, and NASA and NOAA employees) and CIRLA users are not eligible for this service.
What are the hours of the service?
In general, the service hours are 11 pm to 8 am Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with expanded hours near finals. Check the Libraries' hours on the website.