How to Request Materials Through the Catalog
You may request a book from the stacks at any campus library and have it delivered either to a different library on campus or to the service desk at the library where the book is housed. Holds in McKeldin will be placed on the Self-Service Holds Shelf across from the Library Services Desk.
If a book’s status in the catalog says “On Shelf,” you should be able to request it through the catalog. If the material has a due date listed in the catalog and is currently checked out, or if it is only available at another campus or USMAI library, you should be able to request it in the same way.
Note: Materials that are not books or books with the status “On Shelf/Non-Circulating” cannot be requested.
To Request the material, go to the catalog record of the item you want to request.
- Click on the "Request Item" button.
- Select UMD College Park as the university.
- Login to the campus server.
- Select the branch you would like the material sent to for your pickup. Some locations may be excluded. Then click the "Send" button.
- Make sure to verify the pickup location and click "send" one more time on the confirmation screen.
- You will see the "Item has been requested for pickup" notification when the hold has been successfully placed.
If there are no holds on the book you selected and the book is on the shelf, it will be delivered to the branch you selected within a few business days. You will be notified by email when the material is ready for pickup.
If you requested an item that is currently checked out, you can go to "My Account" to check on the status of the item, or to delete/remove your request if it no longer is needed.