Research Tools, Guides, and Databases
So Many Research Tools!
Favorite databases include:
- JSTOR: an excellent resource for shuffling through historical journals, papers, books, and other periodicals on architecture, preservation, and planning.
- Academic Search Complete: a database primarily for scholarly research, providing access to journals, periodicals, reports, books, and other materials.
- ARTSTOR: an excellent resource for finding high quality images of artworks, architecture, and other artifacts. This includes those of towns, plans, and drawings.
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals: Good if you're looking for backdated magazines. Use this resource to find articles and call numbers for our periodicals collection.
- SimplyAnalytics: contains extensive data including demographic, historic census, business, health, real estate, housing, employment, consumer spending, and marketing (over 70,000 variables total). Users can create customized maps and reports; data is down to the census tract level. Click on "Sign in as a guest" to use database. data is available at the State, County, City, ZIP Code, Census Tract and Block Group level as well as custom trade area and the entire United States.
- MaterialConneXion: a library of textures, materials, and other products available for architectural and interior design.
- DRUM: the database housing all previous theses and final projects for all UMD graduates.
Here is a short list to help you can find Primary Sources, Periodicals, References and Research Guides.
LibGuides! Our subject librarians build individual webpage guides based on courses, and subject areas.
The Research Commons ! A great place to get help - the RC supports high level research and connects you to tools to help you organize your research.
Citation Management! Everybody needs to keep track of the titles of books and articles that they read and want to cite in their papers.