The area around Bladensburg primarily depended on agriculture, but investors in large estates near the town were interested in diversifying their farming practices. Major planters started sharing innovations via membership in newly established agricultural societies. Meanwhile, the establishment of the Bladensburg Academy by this new generation of landowners demonstrated their commitment to agricultural reform via a scientific education. As local farming became less dependent on tobacco, mills and tanneries provided new sources of investment and employment in and near Bladensburg.
Proximity to the District of Columbia held special advantages for the old port town. Government contracts attracted investors seeking to sell supplies to the military. As war fever grew in the run-up to the War of 1812, two gunpowder mills and a blanket factory gave Bladensburg an industrial flavor. However, the speculative craze that launched such investments foundered when the war ended in 1815 and an economic depression soon followed in 1819.