EndNote (www.endnote.com) (software) is a commercial reference management software package, used to manage bibliographies and references when writing essays and articles. It is produced by Thomson Reuters. EndNote groups citations into "libraries" with the file extension *.enl and a corresponding *.data folder. Endnote can organize PDFs on the user's hard drive (or full text on the web) through links to files or by inserting copies of PDFs. It is also possible to save a single image, document, Excel spreadsheet, or other file type to each reference in an EndNote library. With EndNote X5 you can attach files to an EndNote Web record, or transfer file attachments between the Web and your computer. Once you register EndNote X5 with your EndNote Web account, you will also receive up to 1GB of Web storage for file attachments and increased storage for up to 25,000 references. Select the new paperclip on an EndNote Web record to view a list of attachments
EndNote Web (www.myendnoteweb.com) is the web version of EndNote. Those affiliated with the UM can use it for free, as it comes with the subscription to the database Web of Science.
- Collect and organize references found online
- Store up to 10,000 references
- Transfer references from other programs
- Access your references from anywhere
- Share references with other users (groups)
- Format records into a bibliography
- Capture citations from web pages
- Cite While You Write (CWYW)
- Features unique to EndNote (software) that are missing in EndNote Web: Create & save advanced searches; Customize views & displays; Edit reference import filters & output styles; Use term lists for auto-entry; Cite tables, figures, & equations; Work Offline (anytime/anywhere); Local Personal Files and Documents; High Performance Desktop Environment.
- Features shared by both EndNote software and EndNote Web: Save references; Organize & edit references; Import from many databases and OPACs + + Cite & format papers with bibliographies
- Storage capacity: EndNote (software): unlimited; EndNote Web: up to 10,000 citations.