Collection Development Strategies
Maggie Z. Saponaro
Director of Collection Development Strategies
Collection Development Strategies Librarian
Johnnieque B. Love
Collection Development Strategist
Collection Management/DRUM Graduate Assistant
Areas of Activity
- Identify and select materials, regardless of format to be purchased for the library's collection.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the campus faculty.
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of subject collections systematically in order to provide written assessments of library holdings to support the instructional and research programs of the campus.
- Formulate and implement collection development policies.
- Review incoming materials from all sources, including approval plans and gifts and exchange.
- Participate in the solicitation of gift materials.
- Prepare and monitor the materials budget for the University Libraries.
Selection of Materials
The collections of the Libraries represent a vast variety of formats and languages, including books, periodicals, newspapers, manuscripts, audio-visual materials, and information resources in electronic format. Collection Managers with designated subject responsibilities select these materials to provide direct support for the instructional and research programs of the university.