Help with Special Collections Account
About your account
All researchers using our material must register for a user account.
Once you register, you will be able to:
- Request materials online
- Schedule your requests so materials will be placed on hold for you in advance of your visit
- Submit duplication orders and download digital scanning orders online
- View and track the status of requests and orders
- Review your request history
Log in to your account and click “Change Password” under “Preferences” on the left-hand side menu.
If you do not have a University of Maryland account
- Select the “Logon or Register” button
- Click “Forgot Password?” to reset your password
If you have a University of Maryland account, you will need to contact the Division of Information Technology
Login to your account and click “Change User Information” under “Preferences” on the left-hand side menu. Click “Submit Information” after making changes.
Use the links in the left-hand side menu to locate and request materials from the online catalog, archival database, digital collections or the Maryland Map collection.
After selecting an item from these databases, use the 'Request from Special Collections' links to initiate your request.
For details, visit Request onsite use of special collections.
You can place 12 requests at a time. As you finish with material, you will be able to make additional requests.
If you would like to plan your research ahead of time, you may save additional requests to your account by selecting “Keep for my Review” at the bottom of each request before submitting. These requests will be saved as "Unsubmitted Requests".
The "Library" field is usually auto-populated for most requests. However, if the field is left blank, select
- “Maryland Room” for most items in Special Collections and University Archives
- “Special Collections in Performing Arts” for items from Special Collections in Performing Arts or the International Piano Archives at Maryland
Your request will not be submitted if a "Library" is not selected.
Then visit the Maryland Room in Hornbake Library or the the Lowens Room in the Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library, depending on the location of the items you requested.
Tracking your requests
- Schedule your appointment at least 4 days in advance
- Place requests at least 3 days prior to your visit
We have expanded our reference services and can now meet with you online to discuss your project. In some cases we may be able to provide the material you need virtually, without the need for an on-site visit. Contact us to request virtual reference services.
Select “Review Requests” under “”My Requests” on the left-hand side menu. You will see the status of items in “Status” column.
As your request is being processed by special collections staff, the status changes in your account.
- Item On Hold
- Your request is ready to view in the reading room and will remain so until your scheduled appointment.
- Awaiting Item Delivery
- Your duplication order being worked on by staff. You will receive an email once the order is completed.
- Awaiting Request Processing - Reading Room
- Your request has been received to view materials in the reading room
- Awaiting Request Processing - Duplication
- Your request for a duplication order has been received
- Awaiting User Review
- Your request has NOT been received. Log into your account to select the "Unsubmitted Requests" menu option. Follow in the instructions to submit your request
- In Retrieval
- Your request is currently being processed by staff
- Click “Review Requests” under “My Requests” on the left-hand side menu
- Click the transaction number (TN) of the item you wish to cancel, to view the full transaction information
- At the top, click the “Cancel Request” button
Select “All Requests” under “My Request” on the left-hand side menu.
- Select “Delivered Items” under “Orders” on the left-hand side menu
- Select "View" and the file will be automatically downloaded.
Save files within 30 days of the delivery date. Files are automatically deleted from your account after 30 days.
Contact us if you have any trouble downloading your file.