Find Textbooks and Other Course Materials
Course Reserves provides you with access to essential readings and media for your classes as requested by your instructor.
Reserves fall into the four categories below: Top Textbooks, Electronic Reserves, Physical Book and Media Reserves, and Streaming Media Reserves.
Top Textbooks on Reserves
The Libraries have purchased textbooks for the largest courses on campus! They are available at the McKeldin Library Services Desk, and you can borrow them for 4 hours at a time.
Top Textbooks are provided thanks to the generosity of SGA, Friends of the Libraries, and other donors.
Books and media on reserve are available at the various UMD libraries. Check your course in ELMS (How to Access Course Reserves Tutorial) to determine which library has the items you need. Alternately, if your course is among the largest on campus, your textbook may be available through our Top Textbooks program (see search box above). In general, the following policies apply:
Borrowing Reserves Materials
- Items are available for either a 2 hour or 24 hour loan period as requested by your instructor.
- You will need your university ID to borrow items on reserve.
- All reserves materials must be returned to the library services desk or kiosk from which they were borrowed.
- Identify the library location where the item is located and the the call number of the item. Bring this information with you to the relevant library service desk to retrieve the material.
Renewing Reserves Materials
- In general, an item on 2-hour reserve may be renewed in person as often as the borrower wishes, as long as there are no other requests for it.
- Users of 24-hour reserve items must wait one day after returning an item before checking it out again.
- Note: Reserves items may be renewed only at the library services desk from which they were borrowed and cannot be renewed in My Account.
Fines for Reserves Materials
- Overdue fines for Course Reserves books are higher than normal library materials ($5.00/hour, up to a maximum of $50). This increased fee is designed to ensure these books remain available to as many students as possible.
- When an item is 1 day overdue it will be declared "Lost," and a $125 fee will be charged, and the borrower's account will be blocked.
- Please remember that you are responsible for items you borrow. Handle each item with care and return it promptly. A fine may be imposed for mishandled or damaged materials.
- View the Billing & Fines page for more information.
Video and audio reserves are:
- Links to films available through library subscriptions, available through Course Reserves (tutorial)
- Items digitized and accessible through the Library Streaming Media module. (tutorial)
Streaming Media Reserves may be accessed from anywhere through ELMS.
For further information on how to access materials, please see our How to Find Streaming Media Reserves Tutorial.