Human Geography Data
Human Geography Data & Interactive Web Maps
- Brown University Longitudinal Tract Database (LTDB) - Longitudinal, tract-boundary consistent census dataset from 1970-present. Includes race and Hispanic origin, age by race and Hispanic origin, household composition, and housing occupancy and tenure plus socioeconomic characteristics from the American Community Survey. See the associated variable codebook.
- ESRI’s Tapestry Project - Classification of U.S. residential neighborhoods into marketing segments based on demographic and socio-economic data
- Global Administrative Areas – Administrative boundaries
- History Quest DC - Interactive GIS map with historical data on approximately 127,000 extant buildings in Washington, D.C.
- Mapping Inequality: Redlining in New Deal America - Home Owners' Loan Corporation (HOLC) georeferenced maps and polygons from 1935-1940 for a variety of cities in the United States. HOLC recruited mortgage lenders, developers, and real estate appraisers to create maps that color-coded credit worthiness and risk.
- NASA Night Lights – Nighttime images of Earth’s lighted areas
- NASA SEDAC’s Population Data – Gridded global population data from 1990 - present
- National Historical Geographic Information System - Population, housing, agricultural, and economic data with boundary files in the United States from 1790 to present
- New York Public Library's (NYPL) Navigating The Green Book - The Green Book was a travel guide published from 1936-1966 that listed locations welcoming black travelers. The site offers a map of extracted data and an interactive trip mapping tool.
- Oak Ridge National Lab Landscape Population Data (UMD Subscription) – Gridded global ambient population data from 2000 – present
- Rich Blocks Poor Blocks – Interactive web map of select popular census datasets
- Simply Analytics (UMD Subscription) – Simplified GIS pre-loaded with census and business datasets
- U.S. Census Maps and Data – Census GIS data, maps, and interactive web maps
- World Database of Large Urban Areas – Population estimates and projections for the largest urban areas from 1950-2050