Research and Projects
Mapping salt water intrusion in agricultural fields
- Mapping salt water intrusion in Maryland's eastern shore to show areas impacted by sea level rise and areas vulnerable to coastal flooding.
- In 2018, Maryland Today detailed how storymaps make climate change science accessible.
University of Maryland campus story map
- Focusing on UMD's historical and architectural evolution since its founding in 1856
- Visually displaying the University of Maryland, College Park campus's transformation from the Maryland Agricultural College to what we see today
Augmented Reality Topographic Sandbox
- Creating an interactive, engaging experience for patrons to learn about hydrologic and geographic concepts
- Developing models that are augmented in real time with an elevation color map, contour lines, and simulated water
- Providing interactive outreach and table top science experiences to the campus community
- Using open source algorithms and code developed by UC Davis.
Prange Collection exhibit
- Collaborating with Special Collections to create a visual story map for upcoming 2020-21 exhibit
Life of United States military families in Tokyo: Story map
- Story map that visits signicant places in central Tokyo for American military and civilian personnel during the American occupation following World War II
- Developed as part of the Hornbake Library's Prange Collection exhibit Crossing the Divide: An American Dream Made in Occupied Japan 1945-1952
- Exhibit on display until July 2019, story map available online
Frankenstein character paths: Story map
- Developed in collaboration with Patricia Herron, the Libraries' English subject specialist
- Depicts paths traveled by characters in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein including Europe, Great Britain, and the Arctic region
- Created for classic novel's 200th anniversary.
Custom map development: Stolen by Dr. Richard Bell
- Created for Dr. Richard Bell's publication Stolen: Five Boys Kidnapped into Slavery and their Astonishing Odyssey Home
- Depicts routes traveled by the five boys and their kidnappers