Easton Hall — Dormitory constructed in 1965; designed by Ted Engelhardt. Named for Easton, Maryland, county seat of Talbot County. One of the haunted locations on the UMD ghost tour.
"Echo Spots" — Mysterious locations on campus, mostly along the Mall, that reflect the sound of voices. The most prominent echo spot is the podium inside a four-foot circular wall in front of Montgomery Hall. Many of the echo spots, including the podium, which was intended for a statue that was never made, were created in the mid-1980s as a part of landscaping efforts to improve drainage on the Mall and deter people from walking on the grass. Other good echo spots are the alcoves along the Mall and spaces in front of Symons, Marie Mount, Woods, Tydings and H.J. Patterson halls and the Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center facing the Mall.
Eclipse — Student newspaper published from September 16, 1985, to May 2013 to help capture the African American student voice at UMD and to "reflect the uniqueness and beauty of black culture" at UMD. Issues in holdings of the UMD Archives have been digitized and are accessible in the Archives' UMD Student Newspapers database.
Editor-in-Chief, First African American — The first African American editor of The Diamondback was Ivan Penn, who led the paper from 1991 to 1992.
Editor-in-Chief, First Female — The first female editor-in-chief of The Diamondback was Jackie Brophy, who took over the reins of the paper in the summer of 1944 with a handful of writers. At the time, the paper was published once a week due to wartime restrictions.
Education, College of — The College of Education traces its origins to 1912, the year that the first teacher education courses were offered by Jacob E. Metzger on the campus of the Maryland Agricultural College. For more information on the history of the college, visit the College of Education website.
Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center — Teaching and collaborative learning space dedicated in May 2017. Named for Edward St. John, Class of 1961, a Baltimore-based developer and philanthropist who founded St. John Properties.
Elkins Building — Constructed in 1979; named for Wilson H. Elkins, president of the University of Maryland, 1954-1978. Headquarters of the University System of Maryland, located on Metzerott Road adjacent to campus.
Elkton Hall — Dormitory constructed in 1965; named for Elkton, Maryland, county seat of Cecil County. Designed by Ted Englehardt.
Ellicott Hall — Dormitory constructed in 1966; designed by Johannes and Murray. Named for Ellicott City, Maryland, county seat of Howard County.
Elvis — Elvis Presley performed two concerts in Cole Field House on September 27 and 28, 1974, to packed houses. Elvis is also connected to campus through Jack R. Salamanca, professor of English and author of the novel The Lost Country. Salamanca's work was the basis for Elvis's film Wild in the Country, which was released in 1961.
Emmy Winners — Numerous alumni, faculty, and staff of the University of Maryland have won Emmy Awards. Alumnus Glenn Weiss also has an Academy Award connection, having served as the director of the 2017 Academy Awards television broadcast.
Engineering, A. James Clark School of — Founded in 1894 when the Secretary of the Navy detailed Lt. John D. Ford of the U.S. Navy's Engineering Corps to the Maryland Agricultural College to begin the mechanical engineering program. Named in 1994 for A. James Clark (Class of 1950), alumnus in civil engineering. For more information, visit the Clark School of Engineering website.
Engineering Building — Constructed in 1950. Monuments honoring the 100th anniversary of the engineering program and the campus chapter of Tau Beta Pi, the national engineering honors society, grace the outside of the building.
Engineering Degrees, Women — The first woman to receive a degree was Evelyn Barstow Harrison, who graduated with a B.S. in civil engineering in 1932. Harrison went on to serve as the first director of the Federal Women's Program of the Civil Service Commission, which sought equal opportunity for women in federal employment practices. Other early women graduates in Engineering include Charlotte Edwina Schellhas (civil, 1952), Joan Terrett Earle (mechanical, 1960), and Sharon Lee Henderson (electrical, 1960).
Enrollment — The first entering class of 1859 consisted of 34 students. Current enrollment statistics are available on the website for the Office of Institutional Research, Planning, and Assessment.
Entomology, First Professor of — Townend Glover, who joined the Maryland Agricultural College Faculty soon after the school opened, is considered to be the first professor of entomology in the United States.
Eppley Recreation Center — Opened on May 2, 1998, as the Campus Recreation Center. Named in 2006 for Geary F. Eppley, UMD alumnus, faculty member, athletic director, and dean of men, who also served as the first president of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).
ESPN — The Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (ESPN) broadcast its first college football game from Byrd Stadium, now known as Maryland Stadium, on September 8, 1979, one day after the new network came on the air. The Terps, led by head coach Jerry Claiborne, defeated Villanova, 24-20.