Media Lab Workshops
Did you know? You can request a specialized Media Production instruction workshop for your class.
Take a look below to read more about the workshops that are available.Request Instruction
30 Second Video Essay: Intro to Adobe Premiere
- The video essay is an emerging method for presenting critical analysis in academia.
- This workshop pairs the diversity of experiences and skill levels within the classroom with a baseline for students of all levels to create a film essay.
- Limited lecture time and increased the hands-on experience to enable the exploration of video editing, obtaining clips, and video essay mechanics.
Films without Celluloid: Visual Literacy through Storyboarding
- Creating a visual story, developing narrative logic and augmentation skills through pre-production work.
- Interactive and engaging: uses Lev Kuleshov's teaching method as a base
- Melds screenwriting techniques and pre-production processes, to enable students to create a dynamic narrative and apply it directly to their academics.
- Participants create storyboards and use screenwriting techniques to make final long form stories.
- Gives students take away tools for effectively planning out their shoot.
Every Frame a Critic: Storyboarding as an Analytical Tool
- Explores scene analysis as a critical foundation: the ability to watch media, deconstruct a scene, and communicate the scene's meaning to an audience.
- Uses pre-production methods to expose students to new ways of looking at scene analysis and escaping the trap of summation.
- Draws on elements of screenwriting and shot composition
- Enables students to look beyond the events that happen in media to gain a deeper understanding of filmmaking.
- Participants learn elements of filmmaking and engage in structured scene analysis.
It's Always a Production Here: Intro to Video Capture
- A 'how to' workshop on filmed interviews, this workshop introduces students to fundamental filmmaking practices, such as: three point lighting, framing the shot, and audio recording for film
- Engages with interview skills, basic green screening, in tandem with filmmaking fundamentals.
FX of Video Production: Intro to Adobe After Effects
- An extension of the 30 Second Video Essay, this workshop delves deeper into post-production.
- Students learn how to link Adobe Premiere projects with After Effects projects, basic tools in After Effects, and color correction tools.
Invasion of the Pod(casting) People: Intro to Adobe Audition
- A 'how to' workshop on podcasting production
- Introduces students to audio mixing, editing, and recording.
- Explores microphone polar patterns/directionality, best practices for audio recording, basic soundscaping, and sound board operation.
- Students engage with Adobe Audition and practice mixing tracks.