McKeldin Library Study Carrels
McKeldin Library has a number of individual study rooms, known as study carrels, on the 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th floors.
3rd Floor study carrels are open to all library users on a first-come, first-served basis. These rooms cannot be reserved.
4th and 6th Floor study carrels are open to all University of Maryland-affiliated library users for 4- or 8-hour reservations. You may reserve a study carrel on these floors by using our online system. Rooms may be reserved from two hours to one week in advance.
- 4-hour reservations: http://umd.libcal.com/booking/mckcarrels4
- 8-hour reservations: http://umd.libcal.com/booking/mckcarrels8
7th Floor study carrels are reserved for University of Maryland faculty and PhD students in candidacy for a full semester at a time. NOTE: All 7th floor carrels have been assigned for the Spring 2019 Semester. No new applications are being reviewed at this time.
The following rules apply for all study carrels in McKeldin Library:
- Carrels are for quiet individual study only. They are not to be used for group study, meetings, office hours, or sleeping.
- On the 4th and 6th floors, carrel users with reservations take priority. You must cede your carrel upon request to a user who has a reservation.
- Users arriving ten or more minutes past their reservation time will forfeit their reservation.
- Carrels are not sound-proof. Audio devices without earphones are not permitted. Cell phone conversations must be kept brief and quiet.
- Do not cover or block door windows. External windows must remain closed and locked.
- Violation of these policies may result in the loss of carrel privileges.
- The Libraries are not responsible for items left in or stolen from carrels.
- Additional policies governing 7th floor carrels are available here. [PDF]
Questions about study carrels? Contact us.