Research and Academic Services
The Research and Academic Services Division (RAS) supports the education, research, and scholarship of the University's students, faculty, and staff. These users are central to the work of RAS. To the extent possible, RAS serves the residents of Maryland and the larger community. Because of its direct relationship to library users, RAS takes special responsibility to understand the needs of the library user and to ensure that these needs remain central to goals, mission, and operations of the Libraries.
RAS supports the educational and research mission of the University by advising and directing users in the best use of information resources. RAS provides and promotes quality reference, instruction, collection building, collection management, and access services.
- provides quick and convenient access to scholarly information
- delivers excellent in person and virtual library reference and research assistance tailored to individual user's needs
- delivers excellent in person and virtual library instruction
- builds and maintains library collections aligned with current and future users' research and teaching priorities
- leads processes for selecting and deploying information technologies that support library users
- designs welcoming physical spaces and facilities to support top quality teaching, research, and scholarship
- recruits, trains, and retains a diverse, forward thinking and technologically skilled staff of librarians, library technicians and student workers
View the RAS Strategic Plan for 2019-2021.
View the RAS Strategic Plan for 2015-2018.