Pablo Neruda Literary Award — Distinguished university professor and poet Jose Emilio Pacheco was awarded the first Pablo Neruda Literary Award in 2004. The prize was established to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of the Chilean Nobel Laureate.
Parcels of land — The 428 acres of land which George and Charles Benedict Calvert sold to the Maryland Agricultural College on March 22, 1858, to form the original campus were named "Rossburgh Farm" and consisted of parcels known as "Arthur's Stamp," "Original Buck Lodge," "Resurvey on Buck Lodge," "New Look Out," "Godfather's Gift," and "Belt's Range."
Pastor, first female — Rev. Beth Platz, who serves as the Lutheran chaplain on campus, was the first woman ordained by the Lutheran Church in the United States. Her ordination took place in Memorial Chapel on November 22, 1970.
Peace Garden — Garden created in 2003 to honor the memory of the victims of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The garden, located at the east end of McKeldin Mall near Main Administration, marks the spot where the flowers placed along the ODK fountain during the campus's memorial service on September 12, 2001, were buried. The site includes a plaque with the phrase "May Peace Prevail on Earth" and an explanation of the garden's origin.
Pendulum — in 1955, the Standard Art, Marble and Tile Company installed a Foucault pendulum in the Mathematics Building, which, as it slowly turned, created a sensation of the entire building revolving. The pendulum itself is no longer in place, but the tile work remains in the floor as a reminder.
Ph.D. — The first doctorate awarded by the University of Maryland after the establishment of the Graduate School was given to Charles E. Sando in 1920. Dr. Sando received his degree in botany, and his dissertation was entitled "The Process of Ripening in the Tomato, especially from the Commercial Standpoint."
Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity, Eta chapter — Oldest fraternity on campus, founded January 8, 1897. The chapter dedicated a tree on McKeldin Mall near Woods Hall on September 13, 1997 honoring the over 1700 students who have been initiated into the oldest continuing fraternity at the University of Maryland.
Pillow Fight — On April 17, 2009, the Terrapins attempted to set a world record for the largest organized pillow fight in a battle organized by the Senior Council. 1,834 students gathered on McKeldin Mall, pillos in hand, to attempt to beat the previous record of 3,706 participants set by the BBC in November 2008. Pillows collected after the event were distributed to the homeless, and the fight was to be the subject of a book produced by Dream Village.
Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest — Alumna Carolyn Gurtz (Class of 1970) won the grand prize in the 43rd annual Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest in 2008 with her recipe for "double-delight peanut butter cookies, a combination of Pillsbury cookie dough, a creamy peanut butter center, and a crunchy nut crust.
Plaques — The University of Maryland landscape is dotted with numerous plaques honoring faculty, staff, students, alumni, and events in campus history; many of the plaques are attached to particular structures and have been listed elsewhere in MAC to Millennium; others of interest include:
- Memorial for Kelly Elizabeth Nalwasky, located between LaPlata and Ellicott Halls.
- Maryland Agricultural College map, commemorating the 75th anniversary of the November 1912 fire, behind Shoemaker Hall.
- Agricultural History of the Maryland Agricultural College, located in front of Morrill Hall.
- Pearson Gate, dedicated to Dr. Raymond A. Pearson, president of the University (1926-1935), located on the south side of McKeldin Mall; reunion gift of the Class of 1934.
- Memorial for Richard T. Farrell, Department of History, 1965-1991, located near the Pearson Gate.
- Plaques honoring Charles and Ruth Manning and Marc F. Pizzuto, both located in Morrill Quad.
- Memorial for Thomas Charles Dawson, located on the south side of Memorial Chapel.
- Commemoration of the Class of 1991 gift of college banners and a multi-cultural book endowment, located in Hornbake Plaza.
- Memorial for Meghan Price, president of the Student Government Association killed in a car accident in 1998, located adjacent to Taliaferro Hall.
- Memorial tree and plaque, located between Worcester and Somerset Halls, for Jayanth "JJ" Charya (1983-2003), a resident of Worcester Hall and the North Hill Community.
Pocomoke Building — Dedicated on April 28, 1946. The building was previously called the Fire Service Extension Building. It was renamed for the Pocomoke River and served as a fire house from 1946 to 1994.
Preinkert Field House — The cornerstone was laid June 8, 1931, and the building was dedicated December 1, 1931. Named for Alma H. Preinkert, Registrar, 1919-1954, by action of the Board of Regents on March 12, 1954. Major Howard W. Cutler of Montgomery County, Maryland, designed the field house. The pool was added in 1951.
- The first president to visit campus was Dwight D. Eisenhower; he delivered an address opening the White House Conference on Children and Youth on March 27, 1960, in the Cole Student Activities Building.
- Six years later, Lyndon Johnson paid a surprise visit to campus when he decided at the last moment to address the Conference of State Committees on Criminal Administration meeting in the Center for Adult Education on October 15, 1966.
- Gerald Ford was inducted into the university's M Club as an honorary member on December 5, 1975; however, he did not attend the ceremony, and astronaut Gerald P. Carr accepted the award on the President's behalf.
- William J. Clinton visited campus in 1993 to celebrate the accomplishments of the Summer of Service program, attending a conference in the Stamp Student Union's Colony Ballroom, and again in 1999, when he encouraged an audience in Ritchie Coliseum to advocate for more support for the Americorp program. Clinton originally visited the university as a young delegate to the American Legion-sponsored Boys Nation in 1963; it was during this trip that he had the opportunity to meet John F. Kennedy in the Rose Garden at the White House, an experience that inspired his desire to make a difference in people's lives by becoming president of the United States.
- Jimmy Carter gave the Second Annual Sadat Lecture for Peace on October 25, 1998, in the Union's Grand Ballroom.
- President Barack Obama has visited the campus four times, most recently at a Town Hall meeting in Ritchie Coliseum on Friday, July 22, 2011. As Senator Obama, he visited campus twice, first to campaign for senatorial candidate Ben Cardin in 2006 and again during his own 2008 presidential campaign. In 2009, President Obama spoke to a rally in support of his health care reform proposal on September 17, 2009, in the Comcast Center.
Presidential Debates — Fred A. Kahn, Class of 1960, was an early proponent of national presidential debates. In August 1956, Mr. Kahn sent a letter to UM President Wilson H. Elkins in which he proposed to have the U.S. presidential candidates from both political parties together on the same platform to answer questions from a panel of college students. Kahn also sent letters to the chairmen of the Democratic and Republican parties, Maryland Governor Theodore McKeldin, and Eleanor Roosevelt. Mrs. Roosevelt responded to Kahn that she "felt this might be something that would arose the interest of young people all over the country" and that she thought "it would be a gesture not only to all those at the University of Maryland but to young people in this group all over the country." Mrs. Roosevelt also sent a letter regarding Kahn's proposal to James Finnegan, Adlai Stevenson's campaign manager, endorsing Kahn's proposal. The precise impact of Kahn's proposal on the Kennedy-Nixon debates during the 1960 presidential campaign is unclear, but his ideas did receive national press exposure.
Presidents — The current president of the University of Maryland is Dr. Wallace D. Loh who began his tenure in November 2010. For information on past presidents and chancellors of the College Park campus and the University System of Maryland, vist the past presidents page provided by the Office of the President.
Products — Several commodities have been marketed under the University of Maryland or Terrapin names, including Terrapin Cola, introduced by the University Food Service in March 1967, and Maryland cigarettes, marketed circa 1952. The Terp Bar, a creation from the Dairy, invaded campus in May 1940. The clean-up committee of the Women's League offered a reward to every student who collected fifteen Terp Bar sticks from the grounds in an effort to remove litter from campus.
Public Health, School of — Founded in 2006, replacing the former College of Health and Human Performance.
Public Policy, School of — Founded in 1981 as the School of Public Affairs. Vist the School of Public Policy website for more information.
- Jon Franklin (Class of 1970) won two Pulitzers: one in 1979 for feature writing and one in 1985 for explanatory journalism.
- Louis Harlan, professor emeritus of history, won the 1984 prize for biography.
- Jane Healy (Class of 1971) won in 1988 for journalism.
- Haynes Johnson, the Knight Chair in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism, won in 1966 for distinguished national reporting of the civil rights crisis.
- David Broder, Journalism faculty member, won the Pulitzer for his 1972 columns in the Washington Post.
- Patrick Sloyan (Class of 1962) won the 1992 prize for International Reporting for his articles in Newsday on battlefield tactics and friendly fire incidents during the Persian Gulf War.
- Eric Newhouse (M.A., 1971) earned the 2000 prize for explanatory reporting. His 12-part series, "Alcohol: Cradle to Grave," explores alochol abuse and its impact on individuals, families, and society.
- Ira Chinoy, visiting journalism professor and doctoral fellow, won in 1993 for investigative reporting and in 1998 for public service.
- Sarah Cohen (M.A., 1992), adjunct professor of journalism, earned a Pulitzer in 2002 for investigative reporting for a series in the Washington Post examining deaths of children in Washington, D.C.
- Faculty member James MacGregor Burns won his 1971 Pulitzer for History of the United States for his book Roosevelt: The Soldier of Freedom.
- Jan Shaffer, who launched J-Lab: The Institute for Interactive Journalism within the Philip Merrill College of Journalism in 2002, won the 1978 Pulitzer Prize Gold Medal for Public Service for her work on a series of stories about a man wrongly convicted of five murders in Philadelphia.
- Deborah Nelson, who joined the Journalism faculty in 2006, won a Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting in 1997 for her report on abuses in HUD's Indian housing program, in collaboration with Alex Tizon and Eric Nalder at the Seattle Times.
- Leonard Pitts, Jr., a visiting professor in Journalism, won the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for commentary.
- Eugene (Gene) Roberts, long-time Journalism faculty member, won the 2007 Pulitzer Prize in History with Atlanta Journal Constitution Managing Editor Hank Klibanoff for their book, "The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation."
- Adam Goldman, a 1995 graduate, shared the 2012 Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting with Matt Apuzzo, Eileen Sullivan, and Chris Hawley. The team won for its series of articles that uncovered how the New York Police Department was spying on daily life in Muslim communities. Their work resulted in congressional calls for a federal investigation and a debate over the proper role of domestic intelligence gathering.