Calvert, Charles Benedict (1808-1864) — Central figure in the founding of the Maryland Agricultural College, president of the Board of Trustees, and well-known philanthropist, planter, and congressman. Calvert served as acting president of the college from 1859 to 1860.
Career Center — The informal name for the University Career Center, which began operation in 1961 as the Placement and Credentials office designed to assist education majors in obtaining teaching jobs. The office was renamed and became the Career Development Center in 1972 and was again renamed in January 2006 to the University Career Center. For more information, visit the University Career Center site.
Cavalry, UM — This member-run organization connected to the Department of Animal Sciences was founded in 1991 and offers training for mounted and unmounted equine activities for students, community members, and especially Animal Sciences undergraduates. The group constitutes the Second Regiment of the U. S. Active Cavalry Riders and is the mounted honor guard of the American Youth Horse Council.
Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) — Stansfield Turner Senior Research Scholar at the Center for International and Security Studies, led the CIA from 1977 to 1981.
Champions, multi-sport — Two members of the D.C. Divas professional women's football team, Allyson Hamlin and Subrena Rivers, won ACC championships as student athletes and a national championship as pro athletes. While at Maryland, Hamlin was a catcher for the Terps softball team that won the ACC crown in 1999. Rivers was a member of the women's basketball team that represented the Terps in the Final Four in 1988. The Divas won the 2006 National Women's Foorball Association World Championship. Track star Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah won national championships as both a student and a pro athlete. Nehemiah won the NCAA championship in the 60-yard high hurdles in indoor track in 1978 and 1979 and the 110-meter hurdles outdoors in 1979. His championship at the professional level came in football, as a member of the 1984 San Francisco 49ers team that won the Super Bowl.
Chapel — Memorial Chapel was dedicated October 12, 1952 to honor the men and women from the university who lost their lives during the country's wars; designed by Henry Powell Hopkins; the building consists of three chapels: the Main Chapel, the West Chapel, and the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament. The Class of 1992 donated funds to restore the Chapel chimes and clock. The Class of 1997 sponsored the restoration of the Chapel's West Courtyard.
The first couple married in the Chapel was Albert E. Stott and Helen Ann Bump of Hyattsville, Maryland. The November 27, 1952, ceremony was performed by Rev. Myers. The first funeral, held there on March 3, 1954, was that of Alma Preinkert, the university's registrar, who was murdered during a robbery attempt in her home in Washington, DC.
Charter — The General Assembly of Maryland granted the Maryland Agricultural College a charter on March 6, 1856 (Laws of Maryland, 1856, Chapter 97). You can view the original charter here.
Cheers — Earlier in the twentieth century, students chanted well-rehearsed cheers at campus sporting events.
Cheerleaders — Although specific college yells or cheers appear in the yearbook as early as 1898, actual cheerleaders are not depicted until 1917. The first cheerleaders appear to have been two unidentified young men, who are pictured in the 1917 Reveille yearbook laughing and leaning on each other, with two megaphones in front of them. Female cheerleaders do not appear until 1925.
Cheerleading, competitive — The University of Maryland added women's cheerleading as a competitive sport in the fall of 2003, the first such varsity program in the United States. The team participates in intercollegiate competition across the country and is a separate group from the "spirit squad" that continues to cheer at football and men's and women's basketball games. The Terps won their first national competitive cheer championship on April 7, 2006, just edging out the five-time consecutive national champion Louisville Cardinals by .13 points. They were again crowned national champions in 2007, 2008, and 2010.
Chincoteague Hall — The only building on campus named for a location outside the state of Maryland. Formerly known as the Journalism Building.
Civil War — The campus was a campsite for troops from both sides of the conflict during the Civil War. Six thousand Union troops under the command of General Ambrose E. Burnside stayed overnight on the Maryland Agricultural College grounds in April 1864. Three months later, Confederate General Bradley T. Johnson and his men briefly occupied the campus. General Johnson used the Rossbourough In as his headquarters.
Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center — At 318,000 square-feet, the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, designed by Moore Ruble Yudell and located on 17 acres at the northwest end of campus, is the largest single building ever constructed by the State of Maryland. The Center state of the art performing arts "village," comprised of ten interconnected structures. It celebrated its official dedication on September 29, 2001, and the first public, ticketed performance was the "Happy Birthday Mozart" concert held on February 3, 2001. The Center is named for well-known Virginia artist and collector Clarice Smith, who attended the university before continuing her art studies at the Corcoran School in Washington and at George Washington University, where she taught watercolor and portrait painting to advanced degree candidates. Smith has had numerous solo exhibitions in galleries in the United States and abroad. Together with her husband, real estate developer Robert Smith, the Smiths have become the largest private donors ever to a public university in the State of Maryland.
Class Gifts — See the list of class gifts, which includes some reunion gifts.
Climbing Center — Campus Recreation Services opened the new outdoor rock climbing facility in May 2001. At 55 feet, the Terrapin Climbing Center is one of the tallest university climbing walls in the United States.
Co-ed Housing — First inroducted in Fall 1969 when the previously all-female Hagerstown Hall went co-ed on an experimental basis.
Cole Student Activities Building — constructed in 1955; named for Judge William P. Cole, Jr., Class of 1910 and chairman of the Board of Regents from 1944 to 1956; commonly referred to as "Cole" or "Cole Field House;" capacity 14,596; the Terps defeated the University of Virginia in both the first (December 2, 1955) and last (March 3, 2002) games in Cole Field House.
College Hall of Fame, National Football Foundation — Seven Terrapins have been inducted into the Hall of Fame for college football players and coaches: Bob Ward (in 1980), Jack Scarbath (in 1983), Coach Jim Tatum (in 1984), Dick Modzelewski (in 1993), Randy White (in 1994), Bob Pellegrini (in 1996), Coach Jerry Claiborne (in 1999), and Stan Jones (in 2000).
College Park Scholars — A two-year program for academically talented students who study and live together, founded in 1994. A more detailed history of College Park Scholars is available at the program's website.
Colleges and Schools — As of 2010, there are 14 colleges and schools on campus. They are: College of Agriculture and Natural Resources; School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation; College of Arts and Humanities; College of Behavioral and Social Sciences; Robert H. Smith School of Business; College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences; College of Education; A. James Clark School of Engineering; The Graduate School; Philip Merrill College of Journalism; College of Information Studies; School of Public Health; School of Public Policy; and Office of Undergraduate Studies.
Comcast Center — Athletic arena with a seating capacity of 17,950, designed by Ellerbe Becket of Kansas City, Missouri, and Design Collective, Inc. of Baltimore, Maryland. The Comcast Center opened in the fall of 2002 replacing Cole Field House as the College Park venue for Maryland basketball. The Center also houses the university's athletics administration. In its first season, a school-record 281,057 fans witnessed Terrapin men's basketball games for a per-game average of 17,566; this figure ranked rank fifth in the nation for the 2002-2003 season. The Lady Terps won the honor of playing in the first official game in Comcast, and they defeated Loyola 80-72 on November 22, 2002. The Comcast Corporation owns the naming rights for the arena.
Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences; College of — The college was established in October 2010 through the merger of the former colleges of Chemical and Life Sciences and Computer, Mathematical, and Physical Sciences. For more information, visit the College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences website.
Computer Science; Department of — Today's nationally and internationally known Department of Computer Science traces its origins to the first class in using computer for calculations offered in fall 1948 by Dr. Harry Polachek, a part-time associate professor in the Department of Mathematics. A written history, photo history, and annual reports are available at the Department of Computer Science website.
Congressmen, United States — Steny Hoyer, Class of 1963, because the highest ranking Terrapin in the U.S. House of Representatives on November 16, 2006, when he was elected as the House Majority Leader under Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
Cooperative Extension Service — Maryland became a formal of the Cooperative Extension network in 1916, when the General Assembly passed legislation establishing the headquarters of the state's Cooperative Extension Service at the Maryland Agricultural College. For more information, visit the University of Maryland Extension website.
Coast Guard Cutter — The U.S. Coast Guard commissioned a cutter named the Terrapin on March 23, 2006, in Bellingham, WA. The crew of the cutter has responsibility for performing search and rescue missions, fishery patrosl, law enforcement, drug and migrant interdiction, and homeland security duities up to 200 miles offshore. There is no known connection between the cutter's name and the university's mascot.
Counseling Center — Originally established as part of the Department of Psychology in 1938, the Counseling Center became a separate administrative unit in 1955. Thomas Magoon, who head the center from 1955 to 1988, was it's first director.
Curling — A winter Olympic sport involving a 42.5 pound stone slid along the ice as players wield brooms to guide its passage. Former Terrapin and NFL football player Vernon Davis was named the honorary caption of the U.S. Curling Team for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.