U.S. Government Information at UMD
The University of Maryland, College Park (UMD) is a member of the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP). Administered by the Government Publishing Office (GPO), the mission of the FDLP is to make government information freely available to the public.
- 1813 - U.S. government creates its first depository library program.
- 1925 - UMD becomes a depository library.
- 1962 - Congress passes the Depository Library Act of 1962 (Pub. L. 87-579)
- 1965 - UMD becomes a regional depository library.
- 2016 - UMD is the regional federal depository library for 59 federal depository libraries in Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia
As a regional depository, UMD administers the FDLP in its service region.
Are you a federal depository library coordinator that would like additional information regarding the program in Maryland, Delaware, or the District of Columbia?
- Visit our LibGuide. There you will find information regarding the region's discard process, legal requirements and guidelines, and how to connect with other libraries in the region.
- Federal depository library coordinators who would like to contact the regional librarian can send an email to contact her directly.