Where to Start
Search Options at the University of Maryland Libraries
Search All is a unique search experience that allows you to explore many of the University Libraries’ research tools at a glance. Results from various library tools (described below) from a single search are displayed in separate boxes on one streamlined page. From there, you can navigate the search results with the option to visit the specific tools to refine your search.
What does “Search All” search?
- Books & More: searches WorldCat UMD, providing access to books, journals, DVDs and many other materials.
- Articles: searches WorldCat UMD but limits the search to articles and book chapters.
- Databases: searches the Libraries' Database Finder tool, which contains hundreds of research databases, to find relevant research databases related to your search terms.
- Research Guides: searches the Libraries' collection of Research Guides created and maintained by our librarians that can assist you with subject-specific research.
- FAQs from Ask Us!: searches Ask Us!, a collection of answers to common questions about research and using the Libraries' services.
- Libraries' Website to find information on the main website about UMD Libraries' spaces, programs, and services
We have also configured the tool to surface “best bet” results. If you search for a popular resource or common keyword in Search All, you may see a “best bet” result highlighted at the top making frequently used content even easier to find.
Find print and electronic books, journals, articles, book chapters, and more from more than 10,000 libraries. WorldCat UMD is a shared catalog made up of library holdings from around the world. You can find and get access to resources held by UMD Libraries and beyond, including materials held by our consortial partners including other Big Ten Libraries and other Maryland academic libraries participating in University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI). WorldCat UMD can also help you find and request materials using our Interlibrary Loan Services.
The Classic Catalog enables discovery of and access to materials held by the UMD Libraries and other University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI) institutions. The Classic Catalog primarily contains the print books and print journals held by the library, so it is mostly recommended for advanced researchers seeking to access an item known to be within the collection.
Search content available on the UMD Libraries’ website including information about services, events, news, and more.