Welcome to the University Libraries at the University of Maryland! Serving the state's flagship, land-grant institution, the University Libraries are your libraries. Our faculty and staff are here to help you learn about and advance the full range of human knowledge and explore your very own fearless ideas.
For scholars across the globe, we steward and provide access to diverse collections and preserve the knowledge and history of the University. In the Libraries’ physical and virtual learning spaces, we offer inclusive services and innovative technologies for learning, study, and collaboration. Our teaching programs enhance information literacy skills and lifelong learning, and our extensive outreach activities strengthen the University’s public service mission. Read more about our mission, vision, and values.
Discover Your Libraries
With nearly 4 million titles in our collection - including online books and journals, archival manuscripts, photos, recordings, and of course, books - and easy access to 100+ million titles in the combined collections of the libraries of the Big Ten, Terps have a wealth of information at their fingertips - online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from wherever they are studying and researching, and at seven campus libraries. A helpful team of librarians provides subject-specific expertise and support in every academic discipline.
- McKeldin Library is the main library on campus and includes the Terrapin Learning Commons, Research Commons, MakerSpace, Undergraduate Writing Center, Graduate School Writing Center, Adaptive Technology Lab.
- Hornbake Library houses the University's Special Collections and University Archives, the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities, an exhibition gallery, and the Katherine Anne Porter Room.
- The Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library, located in the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, is the central location on the College Park campus for music, theatre, and dance materials and includes a main reading room, individual study carrels, group study room, and an exhibition gallery.
- The Architecture Library, located in the Architecture Building, contains materials on architectural design, theory and history, urban design, landscape architecture, and building technology.
- The Art Library, located in the Art-Sociology Building, provides access to resources in the areas of art history, archaeology, studio art, photography, graphic design, interior design, and textiles, including art reproductions and art exhibition catalogs.
- The STEM Library, located in the Mathematics Building, provides resources and research support to students in engineering, computer, mathematical, and natural science disciplines, and serves as a U.S. Patent and Trademark Resource Center.
- Severn Library, located ten minutes from campus, is a high-density shelving facility that houses unique and semi-rare research collections. Deliveries from Severn Library arrive at McKeldin Library daily.
Beyond our Buildings
Named the 2020 top university library by the Association of College and Research Libraries, we are actively engaged in local, statewide, national, and international initiatives to help shape the future of academic research libraries.