Borrowing Policy and Agreement
- Equipment can be checked out to current UMD students, staff, and faculty only.
- By borrowing any equipment from the UMD Libraries, you agree to be bound by the terms of our Borrower Agreement. You are responsible for the equipment at all times while it is checked out to you. Fines and fees apply for late, damaged, lost, or stolen equipment.
- A valid University of Maryland ID is required to check out equipment.
- Equipment must be directly returned to a library staff member at the desk it was borrowed from. Equipment should not be returned in any book drop.
- Equipment is available on a first come, first served basis. They can be renewed one time at the desk it was borrowed from if others are not waiting for the equipment.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse service to anyone who abuses equipment or is repeatedly or extremely late in returning equipment.
Fines and fees apply for late, damaged, lost, or stolen equipment. For details, see Billing & Fines.
By borrowing any equipment from the UMD Libraries, you agree to comply with the terms of our Borrower Agreement.
- Prior to checking out equipment, you must:
- Provide a valid University of Maryland ID at time of check out.
- You are financially responsible for:
- Full replacement cost of all equipment checked out to you, if lost or stolen during the checkout period.
- Full repair costs if the equipment is damaged, including spills from food or drink.
- Damage or replacement charges will be charged directly to your UMD account.
- Never leave the equipment unattended while it is checked out to you!
- All files should be stored on external storage i.e. a flash drive, email, etc. prior to the return of the equipment to the circulation desk. UMD Libraries do not assume any responsibility for files stored on the hard disk or the recovery of files accidentally left on the hard disk after the laptop has been returned. Please do not store files on the equipment. Once the equipment is shut down or loses power, all files are deleted.
- Neither the University of Maryland nor the Libraries are responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to, or from, a user's disk or network account.
- Personal software may not be loaded onto the laptop at any time.
- Violation of above policies will be grounds for refusal of service in the future, and/or fines.
- All use of the equipment must comply with the University of Maryland's Guidelines for Acceptable use of Computing Resources.
The policies above and the number and type of equipment are subject to change.