Request Book or Other Loan From Another Institution via Interlibrary Loan
Need a book, DVD, etc. that isn't available from our library? Interlibrary Loan Services will automatically look for the fastest way to fulfill your requests. Whether it's available through partners like the Big Ten Academic Alliance or held by other libraries worldwide, simply submit your request and we'll help you get what you need.
- Eligibility: UMD Students, Faculty, Staff, Research Affiliates, and Retirees
- Typical Turnaround Time: 3-5 business days
- Borrowing Period: 16 weeks (*subject to recalls)
- Delivery Method: Service Desk Pickup (see below), Proxy Pickup, Department Delivery
- Return Method: Service Desk Drop-off
- Fees: No service fee, Replacement fee $125
- The Libraries' borrowing policies still apply to Interlibrary Loan materials.
The following instructions are for items borrowed through Interlibrary Loan (ILL). Items borrowed directly from UMD or through USMAI, please refer to the Borrowing Policies.
|Location & Hours for ILL||Pick Up||Return|
|Special Collection in Hornbake||No||No|
|Performing Arts Library (MSPAL)||Yes||Yes|
|Department Delivery (Faculty/Staff only)||Yes||No|
- New ILL users will be prompted to choose a pick up location upon signing into their ILL Services Account.
- Notification of item arrival and pick up location will be sent to the email registered with ILL Services.
- To pick up an item, bring UID or government issued photo ID to the Library Service Desk at the pick up location.
- To verify or change the pick up location, go to Account Settings in your ILL Services Account. You may also email email@example.com.
- UMD faculty and staff may have ILL items sent to their department on campus (see Department Delivery for more information).
- Notification of item arrival and delivery location will be sent to the email registered with ILL Services.
- To register for this service, select "Department Delivery" when registering your ILL account, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Books MUST be returned to one of the Return locations listed above, NOT through campus mail.
- Items MUST be returned to a service desk or book drop at one of the Return locations listed above (see the Return Items page for more information on book drops).
- Items marked "Do Not Return in Book Drop" must be returned to a service desk.
- Do NOT return items through campus mail.
- Items must be returned with the book strap and accompanying paperwork. Failure to do so will result in a $5 book strap replacement fee.