UMD Libraries' Open Access Publishing Fund
The UMD Libraries' Open Access Publishing Fund improves access to research produced at the University of Maryland and:
- enables authors to retain their copyrights
- accelerates the online availability of peer-reviewed scholarly journal articles generated by UMD researchers
- raises campus awareness about the benefits of open access
- covers article processing charges (APCs) levied by peer-reviewed open access journals
Maximum Levels of Reimbursement
Only 50% of an article will be funded. In order to include as many authors as possible while covering typical costs, the following limits apply to support awards for each author:
Article cap – maximum funding per article is 50% of the article processing charges
Author cap – one funded article per fiscal year
Who is eligible?
Any UMD faculty member, post-doctoral researcher, or currently enrolled graduate or undergraduate student whose article has been accepted may apply for funding.
What articles are covered?
Funds are available for open access journals, which are journals that do not charge a fee for institutions, libraries or readers for access to the content, and do not have an embargo period for access. This includes:
- All journals in the Directory of Open Access Journals that allow authors to retain distribution rights
- Members of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) or demonstrate its adherence to the Code of Conduct
- Journals that have publicly available a standard article fee schedule
- Journals that have a policy to substantially waive fees in case of economic hardship
Journals with a hybrid open-access model or delayed open-access model are not eligible. Subscription-based journals that charge a fee, sometimes called an “author’s choice” or “open choice” fee, to make single articles available by open access are also not eligible. Any authors who are unsure as to whether or not a particular journal is eligible should contact Terry Owen, email@example.com or (301) 314-1328, prior to submitting an article for publication.
Reimbursement will cover only direct costs for open access publication (not the cost of reprints, color illustration fees, non-OA page charges, web hosting for self-archiving, etc.).
Applicant must be listed as one of the authors and article must indicate UMD affiliation.
Reimbursement will be made once the article has been accepted for publication and the author has been invoiced for the submission fee. Once the application is approved, authors are encouraged to pay the full amount with department funds and the Libraries will transfer 50% of the fee to that account. Authors must provide a copy of the publisher’s paid invoice along with the department account number and object code.
Author must also provide a full bibliographic citation plus a copy of the funded article, either author’s final version or the published version, for deposit in DRUM (Digital Repository at the University of Maryland).
Authors shall add an acknowledgment to all articles sponsored by the fund, such as "Partial funding for open access provided by the UMD Libraries' Open Access Publishing Fund."
Contact Terry Owen, firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 314-1328, if you have any questions about the Open Access Publishing Fund.